Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I need help with changing my valve cover gaskets on my 2003

I need help with changing my valve cover gaskets on my 2003 Nissan Pathfinder

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Please allow me a few minutes to pull up the procedure for you. thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok

Im must apologize but for whatever reason the service manuals I have do not address this procedure. I will open this back up so the someone who has this information can help you.

Hey there, new expert here.What part are you having issues with? Or you just wanting guidance before you start?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have removed/ moved quite a lot to get down to the valve covers. The upper plenum (whatever you call it) came off pretty easily but the lower one has been a bear. I think I've removed all of the obvious bolts and nuts and (finally) a hose at the very back but i still can't remove it.
At the back left ('03 model), there is a funky bracket that seems involved with impossible to reach 12mm bolts, it feels like this is where I'm hanging up.
Thought a Nissan mechanic might lead me in the right direction :)
the main thing that holds it up is the coolant hose in the front and rear of it. You have to disconnect the heater hoses at the firewall and union and then the one in front behind the idler puller bracket.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can see how removing those hoses would help me access some valve cover bolts but what is holding me up is the intake manifold on top of the engine. As I mentioned, I got the upper plenum off but I can't get the lower part (actual manifold) off.
Correct the heater hose connects to the lower plenum back side, you cannot remove the lower manifold without disconnecting it, should be a 45 degree hard nipple coming off the bottom rear of it.
This is all assuming you you have the fuel rail out of the way and bolts removed enough that you can wiggle it. If it will wiggle then then it's the hoses.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got that heater hose disconnected.
I think the "fuel rail" is underneath the manifold that I am trying to remove, right?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I removed the hose that was connected to the hard 90 that starts on the rear driver side of the manifold and comes around the back to the rear and joins with the hose at about center.
Can you take a picture of what you got left to go for me? So I can make sure we are on the same page here?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do I send it to you?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do I just paste it into my reply?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Same pic twice, sorry

ok, sorry i was visioning the manifold portion in the valley underneath that.

that is just the plenum support bracket. should have a small hard line behind it pressed against the plenum.

if no power tools a wrench or open ended ratchet wrench so make short work of it.

here is a good view of it.

you can remove the top 2 bolts or just the bottom. its ONLY a support bracket.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, that's what I will try. I had to go buy a flex head, box-end wrench to get to it
If you need anything else just holler, happy to help.
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you!