Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I noticed my brake lights and battery light etc were on, I

Customer Question
contacted an electrician who said...
I noticed my brake lights and battery light etc were on, I contacted an electrician who said they alternator was faulty because even though the engine was running and the vehicle is on drive yet it wasnt moving. so I changed the alternator and everything went back to normal, but within days I embarked on a journey which required the vehicle to be driven for at least three and half hours, but half way into my journey, the vehicle started slowing down, even though engine was running, all the dash boards came on and the vehicle was moving slowly until it gradually came to a stop and the engine offed and the battery was out. I contacted an electrician who claimed the alternator is dead so it couldnt provide enough current o drive the vehicle, I had to once more buy another alternator which after installation the vehicle was ok, but yesterday I embarked on a journey and after travelling almost equivalent miles in distance to my previous jounery the same thing happened, the vehicle engine went off, the battery and brake light are showing, I tried the local way of knowing if the alternator was functioning by removing the negative terminal of the battery while the engine is running, but immediately I did that the engine went off. Please can you give me an advise on what could possibly be the problem and what need to be done? Thank you, ***** ***** in question is Nissan Pathfinder American Model 2005
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: just checked now its intact and a little below the maximum level
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: Nissan pathfinder 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Its being maintained by a certified mechanic
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Nissan
8/7/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 3 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a volt meter to do a simple test. The Battery light and Brake light when they come on is a charging system issue. If you have a simple volt meter I can explain how to check it to verify. Also when it comes to the Alternator, you do not want to get one that is after market. Part of the problem you are having is probably becuse you have a After Market alternator. The thing about them is that most of the time don't work out of the box. If you do get one that works, the average life span is a year or less. So that is why I am suggesting you get the alternator at the dealer.

I got yet another alternator yesterday which after installation the electrician used an auto diagonizer to check the battery voltage it read 13.57 while the vehicle engine was runing, i left the vehivle engine to run for about 25 with the intention to charge the battery. This morning I started the engine but yet again both the brake light and the battery light are showing on the dash board. I opened the burnet and removed the negative terminal of the battery immediately I did that the engine offed.
Where is he getting these alternators? 13.57 is way to low
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 months ago

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician