Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Technical-minded multi-skilled auto mechanic with over 10 years’ experience in all aspects of repairing, maintaining and servicing a diverse range of automobiles.
18042535

I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra 1.8 L that the check engine

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra 1.8 L that the check engine light is on and every time I give a little bit of gas it backfires and sputters. I checked the code on my scan tool and I keep getting P0340. I replaced the cam position sensor and the problem still remains. I check the wiring harness and the ground and they are both good. Can you please help me with this issue?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on
JA: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The Cam Sensor is part of the Distributor on your year Sentra. So you will need to replaced the distributor for your issue. When the Cam Sensor fails, it can certainly cause all of these issues since the distributor controls ignition timing.

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, there is no distributor on this car. It has cool packs for each cylinder
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Coil
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Sorry, 2000 was the last year for distributor. Was thinking 2000 for some reason.

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

You are correct, 2001 is coil over. So the Cam Sensor is a separate sensor that is located towards the front of the engine ( passenger side ) towards the back side of the cylinder head. When it comes to these sensors, I strongly recommend you get them from the dealer...

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

When it comes to after market sensors, they never work right and can continue to cause running issues and not throw codes which could have you spending money on parts you don't need and cost you more in the end. So when it comes to after market electrical parts, it's always best to stick with the dealer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry I was eating dinner. I bought the sensor from Nissan
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is the correct fuel pressure for this car?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Ryan-CTech replied 2 months ago.
Hi there sorry to hear your Nissan is having some problems. I see you have already replaced the camshaft sensor and double check the wiring to make sure there was no Cuts or shorting issues. From the information I have read from you and the other expert I'm going to recommend that you change the reluctor wheel on the end of the camshaft. It's basically a wheel with notches in it that the camshaft sensor Read's to determine ignition timing. I recommend that you purchase the reluctor Wheel from the dealer as aftermarket parts in this department do not meet OEM specifications. I hope you found this helpful and I hope it answered your question :)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Really? How can that wheel get damaged?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The car only has 51k miles on it.
The wheel is not very sturdy in construction. Engine heat or just a faulty part can cause the issue. Also engine sludge could have made its way past the seal and plugged up The Notches in the wheel.

Just seeing how things are going? :)