Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Cranks but doesn't start unless I spray starting fluid. I

Customer Question
cranks but doesn't start unless...
cranks but doesn't start unless I spray starting fluid. I checked fuel pressure and I get 40+psi
JA: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 218000mi. few months ago
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2002 frontier 3.3l supercharged
JA: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am fixing it myself. Truck will only start if I use starting fluid but as soon as you stop spraying the starting fluid it stalls.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I check for fuel pressure and I get 40+psi
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Nissan
8/6/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

have you checked the injectors yet? pulse and ohms?

no I haven't. They are very hard to get to because of the supercharger.
I was thinking it was a cam position sensor or crank position sensor because from what I read, they control the fuel injectors.

43 is spec on fuel pressure, so your good there, and the sensors are a common issue, but they usually code for that, and when one goes the other's arnt to far behind, so you can either check the injectors or sensors they are all kind of a pain

I am almost positive its not the injectors themselves because the truck ran when I Parked it. Go to start it up and it ran really ruff at first for like 3 secs and the stalled. It tries to start sometimes but most of the time just cranks.
Does the crank position sensor give signal for spark or tell when to energize fuel injectors?
or is that the cam position sensor in distributor job?

the MAF and the cam both tell the ECM to tell the injectors when to fire,

ok. That means I probably lean towards the cam position sensor and test it.

sounds like a plan let me know what you come up with

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician