Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Nissan 350z 2005 About 1 year after purchase, I lost power…

Customer Question
Nissan 350z 2005 About...

Nissan 350z 2005 About 1 year after purchase, I lost power when driving. Very dangerous as I was into a turn and on coming traffic. Pulled to curb. Car smoking badly and coolant boiling like crazy. Interior gauges always read normal. Repair cost was $4,000. Replaced clutch and transmission. Said I would never have problem again. A month ago, same thing happened. A new dealership pulled the transmission. Mgr. showed me clutch plates were smooth.Said ridges were burned off by heat, but had no idea what was causing overheating. Again, gauges were normal. Cost is presently $2,800. and the want to drive it and try to find cause of overheating. Before this second incident, I would drive car to store.***** Hood was so hot you could barely touch it. I've always made sure car had plenty of oil, coolant. Dealership claims that never have they seen this problem. But internet is repleat with identical complaints. One site had 228 such complaints! What do you think? I'm now sort of afraid of the car!

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent. Heat seems to fluctuate.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 350Z yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I'm a lawyer!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No.Thanks.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
8/6/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Ryan-CTech, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Technical-minded multi-skilled auto mechanic with over 10 years’ experience in all aspects of repairing, maintaining and servicing a diverse range of automobiles.
Hi there sorry to hear you're having so many problems with your car. This one is going to be tricky to answer without having your car in front of me so please keep that in mind before you rate. There are a number of things that can cause the symptoms you've described. Number one is a bad radiator. Number two is a faulty water pump. Number three is a sticking thermostat. Number four is a blown head gasket. A blown head gasket will present with exhaust gases entering your cooling system or even your oil plus over heating. A water pump will present with over heating. Also a radiator and a thermostat will both present with overheating. In my opinion I would have a different garage give it another look and a second opinion to rule out the original garage missing something. If you have any other questions regarding this don't hesitate to ask I'm always available to answer your questions :)If you are satisfied with the information I have provided please feel to rate :) if not please let me know what I can do to help you.