Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 1999 R50 Pathfinder Jan Built - it has roof rails

Customer Question

I have a 1999 R50 Pathfinder Jan Built - it has roof rails and on that I have mounted crossbars and then a roof rack. The roof rack and the 6 mountings are working loose and I cant find how to tighten them up
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Taken it to a couple of mechanics and a roof rack expert - there was nothing but head scratching
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Am I able to send pics ?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

I would like to see some pics of this head scratcher

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi pics attached - Standard on the car are two rails that run on each side attached at 3 points each side - no one can tell me how to firm up the loose one - Cheers Mark

have you pulled the headliner down to access the bolts ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No tfats treason for the question ... I have no solid evidence to tell me that's the way to go or what's on the other end of the bolts on the roof side ... no exploded pics only a rough diagram from a Nissan dealer

yes and I have the same thing, from what I remember the bolts are accessed once headliner is down, you can remove the plastic piece and pull down enough to see wont take ya but 5 mins

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can google the how to for the hood lining ... but the plastic part on roof has two pieces but no observable way to access ... no screws no clips etc

just try pulling down the headliner and you will see the bolts

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ta have u got any info on the rail fixings on roof ... will I need to access them to tighten other end ?

it should just be blots from the inside, I do recommend getting loctite and some lock washers for those bolts because of the extra load on the system so they dont back out again

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ta if I wanted to remove the rails completely and hints on that ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do I somehow do this ?

Im not aware of any caps that would go in its place that are for sale if you can find a older pathfinder in a junk yard you may be able to find one with the caps in place that would cover the rail holes and not leak

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've seen my model with later model rails like these ones so swapping them out must be possible

that looks like the exterra but its either the caps or from the headliner