Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

All of a sudden truck ran wierd. a bit smokier than before…

Customer Question
All of a sudden...

All of a sudden truck ran wierd. a bit smokier than before and battery died. than replaced battery. it also died. than changed distributor. no spark. but lots of fuel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Its not running at all at this moment

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2003 extera just ordered a new ignition module.it was acting u

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. just got it. ran fine. removed front lights was about to lift it 2 inches did nothimg to the electrical so its wierd

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Well the antytheft i was wondering if it could cause the no spark

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Nissan
Bought the truck recently. according to ex owner it was running well. some issues with the ignition switch. i have ordered a new one, i started to remove front grill and lights to modify. lifting it to fit 33" tires. didn't do the lift yet. But just moving it around i found the battery dead next day. it was wierd because i didn't leave any lights on. got new battery. also went dead. than checked amp drain and it showed 0.18 which is probably normal. but when truck was sitting i heard a wierd noise under truck and i found the fuel pump running with ignition off and keys out.
8/5/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Changed distributor assy. did not solve the problem. still not able to get it running. next will be replacing the ignition switch that i have ordered from nissan. i have to replace it anyhow.

are you getting any codes?

I think it can not be a big issue since it was running fine. as the battery went dead i am not sure if the factory alarm may cause some electrical issues to the sparks not happening
or the faulty ignition switch
any way i can by pass the factory alarm to eleminate the complication?
Since i have removed the headlight assy i thought it may cause something in the alarm not working proprly so i have pluged it back. but still no start

there is no way to remove the alarm system, have you scanned it for any codes?

i have pluged in a obd but only emmision code came up
no other fault codes

is your obd able to communicate with bcm ?

i have no i dea. it recognized it and scaned it.
i have a obd2 Innowa 3100

are you having a red key come up on the dash?

no

then you dont have a security issue, but with the no start and all these problems you should have some sort of code coming up

i will try it again
nothing stored in memory and nothing comes up

So right now you have no spark at all?

Ok. So i have diagnozed the distributor faulty. Its running now. Well. Thanks for help.

sure thing, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much .You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you.

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician