Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Engine code that wont go away, let me bring you up to speed,

Customer Question

engine code that wont go away
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: let me bring you up to speed, it is a nissan Quest / 2005 / fwd/ 3.5 litre.
JA: Are you fixing your Quest yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it had a P1136 engine code and P0340 code
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: changed both cam position sensors , bank 2 still not reading checked power at the solenoid it is good could not check for ground no way to check for pulse . sensor and solenoid for bank 2 are both new . checked all fuses . good . checked for power at solenoid. battery voltage checked for key on power at solenoid . battery voltaage checked for continuity at pcm for pin number 11 continuity is good
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i am not sure if i have a short to power or short to ground or an open on the power side of the solenoid . i checked the ground wire to the pcm and there is continuity, when i have the scanner on the senor for bank 2 does nothing when the gas pedal is stepped on the duty cycle goes up and both the duty cycle and the INT/V for bank 1 both go up and down as required. the problem is that code P1136 keeps coming back after three key cycles when the engine is turned on then shut off and that the INT/V reading on the scanner for bank 2 always reads between +1and-1 even when the gas pedal is pushed and released . Mechanicaly everything passes all tests listed in identifix and alldata. so i gather it is an electrical issue like a broken wire or short but i do not know where to start looking. The IPM maybe ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
pin number 10 the continuity is good as well on the yellow wire on the ground side
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there is not pusle signal for ground at the solenoid, the ground is added and removed by the pcm , where would i check the pcm terminals for ground and for power/
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Did you replace the Cam Sensors with ones from the dealer or auto parts store?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
napa, they are fine , the problem I'm having is there is no pulse signal for bank 2 camshaft solenoid . there have been two bank 2 sensors installed already , and the solenoid is new . hahahaha there is battery voltage at the solenoid and I checked continuity at the harness connector for the pcm but I did not check the pcm itself did not check the relay either , does the relay control bank 1 and 2 or are there separate relays, there is contstant battery power from the wire from the rlay to the solenoid
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

When it comes to after market Cam Sensors, it is very common that they do not work right. Most times they will cause intake timing codes which could make you think there is a issue with the timing chains.

So the first thing I would suggest is to replace the Cam Sensors with ones from the dealer. I see this on a weekly bases and since it's something I see very often, it has be come a habit to inspect the Cam Sensors now for any running issue to see if they are after market or not

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Napa sensors are considered after market. So you would need to get the sensors from the dealer to start for your issue. Then clear the codes and that may resolve your whole issue.