Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2009 Nissan Altima idles rough but you give it a little…

Customer Question
My 2009 Nissan Altima...

My 2009 Nissan Altima idles rough but you give it a little gas and it smoothes out until you put it in gear and try to drive and it will cut out and then take off and then cut out again and so on

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Pretty consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I have checked plugs and checked voltage on mass air flow sensor and visually looked for vacuum leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm at my wit's end

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Nissan
8/3/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 9 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Do you have a Check Engine light on when the car is running?

Do you happen to know what codes you have?

P0303,p0300,p0301,p0302,p0304, I believe that was the codes

What brand spark plugs do you have in the engine? Those are misfire codes for all 4 cylinders..

They are the iridium plugs that it calls for. This problem started all at once, and like I said if you just barely touch the gas it runs smooth until you put it in gear and then it starts cutting out again

What brand??.. It's important to know cause these engine are very sensitive to the brand spark plugs..

example.. If you tell me Bosch! Those are the worst spark plugs for these engines. They are known to cause misfire issues!!

Autolite

Auto lites will certainly cause misfire issues also. Denso FXE22HR11 are what is suppose to be used in this engine. So I would say you need to start with putting the correct spark plugs in the car to start!

The engine was running fine with the spark plugs that are in it for a while now and this started just one day got in the car to go to town and it wouldn't hardly run

Yeah.. It can do that. Once they start to break in, that is when the misfiring starts. Trust me, this is one of the first things we check at the dealer for misfire issues. These engines are that sensitive to the brand spark plugs..

Okay I will change the plugs and see if that helps

You got it. If you still have issues, you are welcome to return back to this question. Follow up questions are no extra charge, even after you Rate me.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician