Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have a 2009 Nissan Murano that doesn't show any codes with…

Customer Question
I have a 2009 Nissan...
I have a 2009 Nissan Murano that doesn't show any codes with a OBDII code reader. There are lights on the dash showing battery, brake, and recently AWD. Why no codes?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Nissan
The alternator has been replaced about 2 weeks ago.
8/1/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Is the check engine light on too?

no
The car is not here now
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

The obd will only read code if check engine light is on. The combination of light you have present usually points towards low system voltage. Since the alternator was replaced 2 weeks ago need to start by checking for any loose connections or even a defective alternator is possible.

The voltage from the alternator at the battery terminals is high, 15.2 volts. The awd switch on the console doesn't turn on when pushed even though the AWD light is on. Tech manuals indicate the PCS should control the Alt. voltage,
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Was it doing the same before alternator replacement?

No. I wonder if there is a computer reset that needs to be done.
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Just checked and there is no reset procedure that needs to be done after alternator replacement.

Could the computer be faulty?
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

There is a possibility but it wouldnt have waited 2 weeks for ot to act up. There is a possibilty of a afaulty voltage regulator in the alternator.

15.2 is high, but not high enough to do damage to components, and the IPDME should control the alternator voltage.
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Id the voltage staying steady at 15.2 or fluctuating?

Steady
Any way to monitor the PWM signal?
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Only with a compatible scan tool.

Which only Nissan dealers have?
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Not necesserily. A lot of independent repairs shops carry that tool too.

I can replace the alternator, but I would like to know if it is bad before I return it. Do you think 15.2 volts could cause the changing dash lights I see? I happened to remember the low tire alarm has been on for 3-4 years even though the tire pressures are correct.
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Once you have it out, most part stores have machines to test the alternator.

Besides the alternator is a major undertaking. This is the dumbest layout for an engine I have seen in 40 years of working on cars.
Not this alternator. It is one of the few most stores cannot test.
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Most you the newer vehicle especially ot asian and euro vehicles are like this.

Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Do you have any other questions?

Not at this time, I will R&R the alternator and see if I have anymore questions at that time.
Nissan Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 6 months ago

Ok, keep me posted either way.

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician