Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2012 juke won't start. Brake feels stiff as I try to

Customer Question
2012 juke won't start...

2012 juke won't start. Brake feels stiff as I try to compress it to start it. Rear brake light wasn't working. Car would start sometimes but at other times, just air, radio, lights, windows- but engine not starting.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Brake fluid is good

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your JUKE yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took to tire/battery type place bc thought battery problem. Mechanic thought starter was out but he isn't a full out mechanic and certainly not Nissan. (I live in a tiny town). Now it won't start even if jumped off! He fixed the brake light by adjusting wires. Seems electrical problem. I just want some ideas for him to check. May need to have it towed to another town but the Nissan folks I bought from 6 mo ago are NOT taking care of me at all on this and I hate to use them.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I read of similar issues in a juke forum

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Nissan
8/1/2017
Nissan Mechanic: FIXITMAN, MasterTechnician replied 11 months ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, MasterTechnician

Hello, my name is***** need to start by making sure that the brake lights are working fine now. The system uses the brake pedal input for it to start. Most of the time when this occurs it is due to an issue with the push button ignition. This is the most common cause of this problem. If the brake pedal cannot be pushed then the pedal assembly needs to be checked to be sure it can be moved and is not binding but the brake switch and ignition switch are the most common causes of this. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Brake lights both come on when brake is pushed. Does that mean the brake switch is working?

Yes, that means it is working. If it is still not starting then it is either the ignition switch or it can be an issue with the transmission position sensor but that is not as common.