Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Having a bad fuel indication. Saying I have almost a full

Customer Question
take when I know it's...
Having a bad fuel indication. Saying I have almost a full take when I know it's less then half. Sometimes while accelerating I do not get a full response. Seems as if the engine may be slightly stalling
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: No check engine light and the car doesn't stall.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2005 altima
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Going to be replacing the fuel pump soon.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/31/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 3 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This is one of two things that can cause this. Either the fuel level sensor or it's the actual fuel gauge causing the inaccurate reading.

How handy are you?

I'm pretty handy

Then let me get you the check for the Fuel Level Sender. If that passes, then you know it's the Gauge.. Hang on.

After looking at the info, these older Altima's they wanted you to use a scanner to monitor the fuel tank level sensor voltage, where the newer ones have you check resistance at the sender.

Normally if the gauge is reading that off, it's normally the cluster that would need to be replaced. But for your issue a scanner will be needed to read the fuel level sender voltage to determine if the sender is the issue or the cluster.

Where is the fuel sender located?

It is part of the fuel pump assembly. To access it, the rear seat bottom is removed. Once removed there is a access panel to get to the fuel sender

Is that the wire bundle on the top of the pump that I'll need to check?
Is it practical to just change the sender or to just replace the pump? As getting the pump out isn't hard.

The Checks for the sender they want you to use a scanner and monitor voltage through the computer. The fuel sender is a whole fuel pump assembly. It's not that hard, you just have to take your time if your handy.

I already had it out. Went to the local store and they wanted $300 for a new pump. Online I found one for 75. So I reinstalled the old one. What kind of scanner is needed?

Careful when it comes to after market electrical parts, they never work right and after market pumps they sometimes have a plastic feed hose on them that tends to collapses

You would need a full blown scanner that can monitor all signals.

What's a normal price for getting a pump through a dealership? Just the pump. No labor as I would be doing it myself.

Hang on..

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician