Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Does head bolts use washers

Customer Question
Does head bolts use washers
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Nissan
7/30/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

If this is the CA16 engine then there's no need for sealing washers or sealing tape on the head bolts as they don't pass through the water jacket

if this is a different engine then examine the cylinder block, where the bolts thread into the block.

If the bolt thread or shank of the bolt is exposed to the water jacket then yes it will need a sealing washer to prevent water entering the cam space of the head

however I've not seen a Nissan engine like this before

This engine is different its a e16 and throttle body injection tbi some refer to it as e16i also 33 m head casting I just mean if it uses washers above the head on head bolts
Because there was a mistake and the machine shop said they found washers and so I checked and they were a perfect fit in the small crevis between head bolts but it was night and I never saw any now im burning oil bad
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 11 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question..

Yes, your year Sentra does have head bolt washers. I have done plenty of these back in the day to say.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

How can you be sure of the answer I have looked everywhere
Nissan Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

I have the printout for that that verify s the washer and position of the washers on the head if you would like that

can you send that to my email and it does in fact show my type of car or engine on the papers saying use of washers with head bolt

I cant send it to your e mail I can only send it on here, I also would like to know if you plan on rating me when this is done? This rating is very important its how I make my living.

On here is fine and yes it the answer is what ive been looking for along with the info that backs the answer

These are straight from nissan, I threw in a little more info in there for you just in case. let me know if you can open it and if its what your looking for

Its not the same engine that engine was a ca16 mine is e16

Sorry didnt see that heres the E16

Is that what your looking for?

hello?

so I get you your information but you dont hold up your end of the deal?

Im sorry I had gotten busy that is for a 1988 nissan sentra tbi throttle body injection 4 speed manual transmission and it uses washers on each head bolt when I installed it I drove it alot and the coolant level stayed the same but not the oil level and I didnt use washers its burning alot of oil and I thought since the coolant pressurse is say 13 or 20 but oil starts as high as 60 maybe before it warm up and smokes alot but does better when warms up smokes less thought it may not be tight enough if it used washers

what happened to the old ones?

The washers im not sure its along story so I never knew if it actually used washers or if it uses them on all the head bolts the machine shop found two washers thats what made me suspect it is a e16I and I have a haynes book and looked over internet and I tbought if it did a new set would come with them but I never saw it

so you dont really know what engine you have?

I was talking about the washers its the same engine there isnt a new one

ok so do you have any other questions?

the only question is your 100 percent certain that the 1988 nissan sentra 1.6 liter e16I manual transmission tbi throttle body injection 2 door made april of 1988 needs washers on all the cylinder head bolts

1000%!!!!

I need proof this car does or doesnt use cylinder head bolt washers 1988 nissan sentra 1.6 liter e16i tbi throttle body injection 4 speed manual transmission made april of 1988
Nissan Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 11 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi Nathan, My name is***** size head bolts are used. Note the locations during removal-E-Series engines

Fig. Fig. 14: Cylinder head bolt tightening sequence-E16i engine

Fig. Fig. 15: Make certain the cutout on the E-Series rocker shaft faces the exhaust manifold-E-Series engines

Be sure to use new washers when installing the cylinder head bolts.

Nissan Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 11 months ago

Click this link. E series is explained after.

Head install

It says except e16I it is a e16I
It says except for e16i and mine is e16I

I have been a Nissan Technician for 27 Years. I have done plenty of these engines back in the day. Nissan to this day all of there engines all have Head Bolts washers. It has been shared with you through illustrations from the factory manual as well. All E- Series engines have cylinder head bolt washers. Does not matter if it's a E16i , E16L or E16T

There is limited documentation on this now because of the vehicles age.

Nissan Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi, You did not read the full link I sent.

"1987-88 E16i Engine

See Figures 12, 13, 14 and 15"

When you look as figure 15 it specifically say use new "washers"

Nissan Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 11 months ago

1987-88 E16i Engine

See Figures 12, 13, 14 and 15

Fig. Fig. 12: Cylinder head bolt loosening sequence-E16i engine

Fig. Fig. 13: Three size head bolts are used. Note the locations during removal-E-Series engines

1. Crank the engine until the No. 1 piston is at TDC on its compression stroke.
  2. Relieve the fuel system pressure, as described in Fuel System .
  3. Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable.
  4. Drain the cooling system and remove the air cleaner assembly.
Nissan Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 11 months ago

Please take a moment to rate my answer as I answered it correctly and with back up documentation and the proof you were looking for. 5 stars is always appreciated and let me know if you need more help.

Nissan Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi Nathan, Did you get this resolved? I noticed this is still open on my question list. Please rate to close or respond back if more help is needed.

Nissan Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved?If so, Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help and I will be glad to help further. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Nissan Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago

Hello Nathan, I see this is still open with no response from you. Would a call be easier for you? Ill send over the offer to get that set up. I am trying to close out my open questions and get them resolved. If you have resolved this please let me know. Im not an employee of the site and my time is valuable as is yours. The site only credits me a portion of the question value on accepted answers and positive feedback. I see neither has happened here. I took the time to post and research this information for you. Could you do the same for me? Take the time to either post a response with a status or leave a rating if your problem is resolved? It's been a pleasure to help. It does confirm your model if you look further down in the documents I provided.