Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2009 Nissan Maxima the shifter was stuck due to a…

Customer Question
I have a 2009 Nissan...
I have a 2009 Nissan Maxima the shifter was stuck due to a dead battery I used the shift lock button, but now the shifter won't relock now that my new battery is in.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/29/2017
Nissan Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. when you turn the key on and step on the brake can you hear a click?

It's a push button start

push the button on. then put your foot on the brake. not at the same time

There's not any audible click

ok, then the shift interlock isnt working, please standby a few while i look at a few things. thanks

here are some tests that need to be done before replacing the shift interlock solenoid, which i believe is the issue

The steering wheel is unlocked as well if that helps

then the shift interlock cable actuator that runs inside the steering column may be whats bad.

Had a little more time to mess around with it. I'm able to manually pry the shifter button out so it locks in park. But the steering wheel still won't lock. I'm debating going to a junk yard for a steering lock actuator and shift lock button

thats not a bad idea my friend

hows it going?