Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 1995 Nissan pickup that wont start. lights radio

Customer Question
everything works but wont start...
I have 1995 Nissan pickup that wont start. lights radio everything works but wont start
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
7/29/2017
Nissan Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Technician replied 1 year ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician

have you checked to see if you have power to the starter on the main cable, and that you have power on the signal wire when the ignition is turned to the "crank" position?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do check that? All light and ignition lights come on but no click or anything when key is turned

Do you know where the starter is on this engine? There will be a main power wire, directly from the battery block to the starter- this should have power at all times. Then there will be a smaller wire with a connector, this is the signal wire that activates the starter, and this signal comes from the ignition switch. If you have power at the signal wire, and battery power at the main power cable, and still no start, then you need a new starter.

Also, check your battery- just because it can power the lights doesn't mean it has the amperage to turn the starter- though if the starter was TRYING to turn, the lights should click and flicker

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. Nothing flickers or clicks or anything
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How hard is it to change starter?

usually not too hard if you are reasonably handy with tools. Disconnect the battery for SURE, as the main power wire to the starter is live at all times and will arc if it bumps anything.

I have swapped starters in the driveway with hand tools- as long as you have some sockets and extensions most of them can be done reasonably easy (German cars not so much so)