Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Driving down freeway. Loss power. Gas to floor 20 miles an…

Customer Question
Driving down freeway....

Driving down freeway. Loss power. Gas to floor 20 miles an hour. Pulled over. Checked water etc. turned on ran fine aftersome have mentioned throttle body sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

At night. No available mechanic or a machine to get code. Running fine now but concerned. No indicator lights came on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No still driving in the middle of no where. Running fine now.. weekend. 800 miles to home. Is this problem likely to reoccur before I get back

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Nissan
7/29/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd agree that checking the throttle is fully open is a good start, you don't say what model of Nissan this is but the test is the same

If you remove the intake pipe and with the ignition on and engine off have your assistant slowly push down on the throttle pedal whilst you watch the throttle butterfly open

it should move smoothly with no sudden steps or jerking to being fully open

if it does not then try cleaning the throttle out with some brake cleaner and lint free rag

if that doesn't help then the body may have to be replaced

Its also possible that its a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.