TECHPRO49
TECHPRO49, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner at Baltic investments
99232115

Can you tell me what garage wires used in intake vvt

Customer Question

Hi can you tell me what garage wires used in intake vvt solenoid bank 2
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: I have an 03 350z
Category: Nissan
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Hello how can I help you today!!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I need to now the gauge of wire used on the vvt solenoid bank 2
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2003 350z

gauge? as in thickness? what are you trying to do?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is a short on the wiring as it got frayed and my vvt solenoid is throwing a code for shorting. I am splicing new wire in and the wrong size would mess with resistance

it should be a 16 , just dont go lower, ive seen 16 gauge that dosent look like its a 16, use your eyes and make sure its the same or bigger, not all 16 is created equal, I would recommend soldering and heat shrink for that, the connectors cause resistance in the circuit, if its not to far from the connector you can get a new connector and wire harness from nissan and or a junk yard that way you only have one splice. let me know if you have any more questions!

Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much .You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It matches up with 18 gauge actually I used that soldered in but car still sputtering. Would you be able to tell me what color the vvt wires actually are? Or send me a wiring diagram?

Here is bank 1 and bank 2, let me know if you need help troubleshooting it

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks. I found a salvaged Z and got another vvt connector and it is still throwing the code and sputtering. I am going to try and replace the solenoid itself now. But for now these are the codes it is throwingP1134
P0455
P0021

ok let me know how that goes and we can go from there

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so I took out old solenoid and tried with the car ignition on and it was not reacting. So I see that blue and hstuff it's wire that I'm assuming is power is sparking, and the white and green wire was not until I touched it with a grounded portion of the timing cover. So assuming that the wire from harness has a bad ground, I attached that wire back to the solenoid and then bolted it onto the timing cover. Solenoid now reacts. Start the engine and it's very rough idle with slight knocking only at idle. Sputtering came back after a quick drive. I run the codes again and instead of vvt, the code is now 0300 -engine misfire. I unplugged the solenoid while engine on and it's smooth idle.

those harnesses are known for rubbing, I would make sure your wires are good.

1. Check the engine oil level and condition. If the engine oil is low, it could set this code.

2. Check scan data for the Intake Valve Timing (IVT) degrees on bank 2. The PID will be displayed as INT/V TIM. Look for around 0° +/- 5° at idle. The degrees should go up on acceleration. Compare bank 2 to bank 1.

3. Unplug the bank 2 IVT control solenoid valve and turn the key on, check the voltage on the two wires of the solenoid connector to determine which one is the power supply wire to the solenoid. The other wire will be the ground wire controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM).

4. With the engine idling, backprobe and ground the bank 2 IVT control solenoid valve ground wire for a few moments and check if the engine speed drops and runs rough. If so, the solenoid and camshaft sprocket are working. If not, the solenoid could be stuck.

5. The resistance of the IVT solenoids is 7.5 ohms at 70° F.

The Engine Control Module (ECM) sends on/off pulse signals to the Intake Valve Timing (IVT) Control Solenoids to vary the intake valve timing depending on the driving status. The ECM monitors the intake camshaft positions to verify that the camshafts are where they are commanded to be.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
since I grounded the wire mechanically elsewhere do you think it's opening and closing the solenoid sporadically? You say the ECM controls that I have heard ppl with this wire go bad that it fries the ecm could that be an issue?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Solenoid I can see is working when I ground it but it is just opening and closing quickly. I assume the ECM would control how it opens and closes?

yes it does it tells the sprocket where to be for better acceleration. and a smoother rpm band, and the wires end up rubbing on the engine and other various spots in the harness and cause all sorts of problems.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do you think the ecu may have shorted when I plug it in? Unplugged I'm assuming it tries to just run of a preprogrammed map, with it plugged in and externally grounded it seems the solenoid is working randomly.

I wouldnt rule that as a problem yet, You would see more codes if it were a ecm, I would check the wiring and make sure everything is ok on that front, a small nick or rub is easy to miss

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How far back do I have to go to find it?

I would just do a full inspection for as much as you can get to, Ive seen weird things with those harnesses over the years

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well here's the thing, I bought the car with another connector for the solenoid already spliced in. So I'm guessing something happened where there was a short and he rewired a new connector. It's more likely that he didn't just randomly choose a spot in the harness to splice to right? That one short that happened could've fried the portion of the ecu that controls the solenoid no?

it could have fried the ecm yes

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok last question I promise, can you look up the two character code for the ecm since each year and models make a difference?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Some say PC some say G9 and so on

It shouldnt matter because your going to have to program it to that vehicle, if you dont plan on programing it you have to get a bcm and pcm but I dont know how long that would last with out the programing