Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2013 Nissan Altima

Customer Question

2013 Nissan Altima
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

What kind of issue do you need assistance with?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Engine died when shifted into gear. Can get car started to roll and then shift into drive. As long as the car is moving trans shift great. My diagnosis is locked torque converter.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

It does sound like a locked converter for sure. Assuming it's not a cvt transmission model. I assume you have already checked the trans fluid, but if not I would start there. I have seen low atf cause this type of problem, but I do have to agree with a torque converter issue. Is the A/T light flashing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is a CVT. I have tried to back probe pin 38 from TCM. It's hard to figure out exactly with one there is 4 brown wires coming from harness. I believe I have determined there is no voltage to activate torque converter clutch solenoid so assume it is locked. I have not checked fluid. It has only a fill spout no dipstick. I know it has a plug /screw to remove to see if fluid runs out but I haven't tried anything to do with fluid level. I thought of just adding a quart to see if anything changes.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There are no TCM or Engine codes I use an Autel 908
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Live data all looks good except for the two speed datas show like 0 rpm on one and 18.4 mph on SPEED SE
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Give me a moment to see if I can pull up the wiring for the TC solenoid on this and confirm what you see. OK

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry, I am going to open this up for the other experts. I am just not able to assist. Please stand by one of the other experts should pick this up. Please don't reply or rate.

Thanks and sorry.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No one has responded but I got billed.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I can assist you with your question. I will be online around 7 pm EST if that is ok with you? Also if you can provide me with the exact code you are getting so I can look up the information on that code and also see if there is any bulletins pertaining to the code..

Let me know..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is no codes. No ECM, No TCM
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If the torque converter is stuck / locked is there a way to free it up?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

How do you know the torque converter is locked?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Because of the previous things I said. Did you not see what I told the other tech?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The engine dies almost instantly when shifted into gear. You can get the car started rolling a little and shift into drive and then drives great as long as you don't come to complete stop.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

If the torque converter is locked up, meaning the inside stator is locked, that is internal of the torque converter and the torque converter would need to be replaced. How many miles do you have on the car?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Only 102k. Well maintained.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could it be low of fluid? There is no dipstick and I haven't taken the fill plug out
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Not likely fluid level. From what you are describing it does sound like a locked up stator in the torque converter. So the only way to really resolve it would be to remove the transmission and replace the torque converter. At the same time while the transmission is removed, I would have it checked out also. It would suck to put a new torque converter in only to find the transmission was internally damaged because of it later after you put it back in

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah for sure. It does shift very well.
Maybe I can get Nissan to cover it. 2013 Nissan Altima since they have extended the warranty on many of their CVT's.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

The only way you can find out is if you contact and inquire at 1-800-Nissan-1