Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2013 Nissan Altima

Customer Question
2013 Nissan Altima
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/28/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 6 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Hi there,

What kind of issue do you need assistance with?

Engine died when shifted into gear. Can get car started to roll and then shift into drive. As long as the car is moving trans shift great. My diagnosis is locked torque converter.

It does sound like a locked converter for sure. Assuming it's not a cvt transmission model. I assume you have already checked the trans fluid, but if not I would start there. I have seen low atf cause this type of problem, but I do have to agree with a torque converter issue. Is the A/T light flashing?

It is a CVT. I have tried to back probe pin 38 from TCM. It's hard to figure out exactly with one there is 4 brown wires coming from harness. I believe I have determined there is no voltage to activate torque converter clutch solenoid so assume it is locked. I have not checked fluid. It has only a fill spout no dipstick. I know it has a plug /screw to remove to see if fluid runs out but I haven't tried anything to do with fluid level. I thought of just adding a quart to see if anything changes.
There are no TCM or Engine codes I use an Autel 908
Live data all looks good except for the two speed datas show like 0 rpm on one and 18.4 mph on SPEED SE

Give me a moment to see if I can pull up the wiring for the TC solenoid on this and confirm what you see. OK

I'm sorry, I am going to open this up for the other experts. I am just not able to assist. Please stand by one of the other experts should pick this up. Please don't reply or rate.

Thanks and sorry.

No one has responded but I got billed.
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 6 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I can assist you with your question. I will be online around 7 pm EST if that is ok with you? Also if you can provide me with the exact code you are getting so I can look up the information on that code and also see if there is any bulletins pertaining to the code..

Let me know..

There is no codes. No ECM, No TCM
If the torque converter is stuck / locked is there a way to free it up?

How do you know the torque converter is locked?

Because of the previous things I said. Did you not see what I told the other tech?
The engine dies almost instantly when shifted into gear. You can get the car started rolling a little and shift into drive and then drives great as long as you don't come to complete stop.

If the torque converter is locked up, meaning the inside stator is locked, that is internal of the torque converter and the torque converter would need to be replaced. How many miles do you have on the car?

Only 102k. Well maintained.
Could it be low of fluid? There is no dipstick and I haven't taken the fill plug out

Not likely fluid level. From what you are describing it does sound like a locked up stator in the torque converter. So the only way to really resolve it would be to remove the transmission and replace the torque converter. At the same time while the transmission is removed, I would have it checked out also. It would suck to put a new torque converter in only to find the transmission was internally damaged because of it later after you put it back in

Yeah for sure. It does shift very well.
Maybe I can get Nissan to cover it. 2013 Nissan Altima since they have extended the warranty on many of their CVT's.

The only way you can find out is if you contact and inquire at 1-800-Nissan-1

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician