Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My 99 pathfinder will not crank when I turn the key. I've

my 99 pathfinder will not...
my 99 pathfinder will not crank when I turn the key. I've tested the battery, its fully charged, I've tested the alternator, it passes,I've replaced the starter with a reman from oreilly's. I've ran a by pass on the neutral position relay and tried turning the ignition while wiggling the shift lever to test the actual shift switch....not sure what else o check.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: I can turn the steering wheel, and the key seems ok....All the lights turn on in the dash when I move the key to the different positions.
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tested and charge the battery, removed and tested the alternator and reinstalled. removed and replaced starter.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: oh I switched out the neg battery cable....
7/28/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

You mean the starter does not engage to turn the engine over when you try to start the truck? Is that correct?

Correct....99 pathfinder automatic 4WD 3.3L V6....

No problem.. I am sure I can help you isolate your issue.

Do you know if the start signal wire is getting power at the starter when the key is in the Crank Position? Also did you check the Start Signal Fuse to see if that is good?

I can check the starter, but I'm not sure where the start signal fuse is located....I'll look it up in my chilton book....it cover nissan trucks, I could find the one for nissan pathfinders specifically.

The Start Signal fuse is in the Inside Fuse box. I would just like to see if that is good and if the Start signal is getting to the Starter at the starter when the key is turned to the Crank position. That is the Gray connector at the starter.

I am getting 12 volts when the key is turned to crank position.....had to get my wife to help....I checked all the fuses that were marked IGN in the driver side fuse box.

Well that is good.. Do you hear a click from the starter when you try to start it and everything is plugged in?

all the fuses rang out on my volt meter...

Fuse has to be good if you have power at the starter when the key is in the Crank Position..

oh yeah I was just knocking it out before I crawled under the truck....

That is a bad starter then.. After Market Starters never work right .. If you get a Starter from the dealer, that will resolve your issue.

You had the starter bench tested right ? They told you it was good?

no i just took it for granted that it was good.....it purchased it from oreilly's...i was affaid you might say that
i'll get it switched out and ill check back in if i have any issues...thanks for your help....have a great evening...

Let me explain something.. You can take it back, and they can bench test it. It will pass a Bench test cause there is no load on the starter.

You have the signals you need for the starter to operate. After Market is now junk these days.

So if you were to go to the dealer and get a starter. I am sure that will work for you.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician