Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I'm working on a 2007 Nissan Maxima. The car had Anti-Theft

Customer Question
I'm working on a 2007...
I'm working on a 2007 Nissan Maxima. The car had Anti-Theft issues and would not start. I replace the BCM and performed and immobilizer initiation relearn, and then I programmed my old keyblade and a new Keyblade, after both the light on the dash blinked five times. The car would then start with the key in the ignition and without the key in the ignition and even without the keys anywhere near the car, but this wouldn't last long and then the car would just crank again and would not start and throw code p1614. I have repeated this procedure numerous times and with the same result.It is strange that the car starts even without the key. Also the buttons on the outside of the car on the door handles do not work and no beep sound indicating that the key is still inside the car. Also I noticed that I used to have a red key symbol on in the instrument cluster light up, but now it never lights up. Only the little light on the dash by the windshield.Can you tell me what can be wrong with this car?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/27/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 3 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you replaced the BCM, then you will need to reprogram all your keys & tire pressure sensors. Was this a new Bcm you installed?

No, used.
I did reprogram the keys.

Is the security light on solid when the key is in the ON position? The door handles not working could be a configuration issue with the used Bcm

I am not at the car right now, but i think the light was solid with in on position.By security light do you mean the light underneath the windshield on the dash or the red key light on the instrument cluster?

Yes.. We need to see if that light is on solid when the key is in the ON position. If ON solid, then the keys may not have been programmed right cause that is what that means. Plus you need to have all keys present as well.

As for the touch entry not working properly, that would be a configuration issue with the BCM.

This has the knob type of ignition with the oval type remote correct?

Knob with oval remote.

Ok, so with that type of ignition, The remotes have to be programmed & the mechanical keys. So it's 2 steps in programming all that. That may have not been done properly.

That is called the I-key system. So you only need to have the remote present, and you can turn the knob and start the car. But if the mechanical key was not programmed and you inserted that, then the car would not start.

I followed the procedure of the service bulletin, the dash light blinks 5 times after every key, but when i then stick in the first one and turn ignition on and off, there are supposed to be confirmation blinks that programming is complete, but none follow.

How are you programming the keys? It does not sound like you are doing right? it can only be done with a scanner...

I go in with the scanner and open up Nats v.5.0, then c/u initialization, then I put in the PIN and it says programming activated. Are then put in the first key and turn on the ignition for 5 seconds and then turn it off for 5 seconds and pull it out and do the same for the second key. Then I stick in the first key again turn the ignition on and off per the instruction to exit the programming mode. But I never get the confirmation lights saying that the programming was successful.
Jay, i bought another bcm and ecu from a pull a part today. I want to try and install them and see if that changes anything. Can you provide me with a pin number for BCM code C6188?

After you do the second key, you need to insert the original key to complete the programming. When you insert the first key you programmed when you turn the key to the ON position, the security light should not flash..

That Bcm code decodes to 7440 so that is the code you should be using

The light doesnt flash when you put the first key into the ignition after all keys have been learned. It starts flashing after the key is removed. Flashes light on a car alarm, once every 3 seconds.

When you do the first key, it flashes 5 times.. Take the key out, insert the 2nd key. it again flashes 5 times. If those are the only 2 keys, then insert the first key and the security light should not flash. That ends the key programming.

Exactly, that is how I am doing it. Then car won't start with programed keys. But if I turn the knob without the key in it, it'll start. But sooner or later it'll stop starting without the key too.

Are any of the keys after market?

One for sure, the other one i dont know, it came with the car.

After Market keys, I have seen can knock out the programming. Try programming the keys except that one. Then see if it keeps working..

I am leaving work and will be back online in about a hour.. ok?

Sure thing
Sure thing.

Try doing the keys with out the after market one and let me know if that works..

I bought a key from nissan, same results.I am at the nissan dealer now. Tech says he does the procedure and as soon as he is done, all the memory erases. And key will not start.

I know the 07's with the I-key system are tricky. If it can't retain the key memory, I would think it's either the Ecm or Bcm that is causing that.

That is what I thought. Before coming to the dealer i was at a pull a part and pulled a pcm, bcm and ignition cylinder, $50 for all three, just in case i might need them. I installed all 3 on the maxima, guess what, same result.I dont get this system.

That is a odd one.. what state are you in?

The tech figured it. I can't believe it was such a simple, stupid thing. I-key fuse was blown. I didn't even know they had a fuse for that system.

Oh jezz... Damn fuse...

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician