Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

A/C on 2011 Nissan Altima, started having problems with the

Customer Question

A/C on 2011 Nissan Altima, started having problems with the blower/fan intermittently (usually on highway). Now, it only blows hot air. Worked fine this morning, stopped at a gas station, when I started it back up, it just blew hot air.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: No and Yes. Everything else is fine as far as I can tell.
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, nothing yet, just started a few hours ago. Tried alternating between Max/normal A/C and defrost, keeps blowing hot air.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Battery terminals seem to get corroded quickly, but I just clean them once a month now. Car starts/runs fine
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Does this vehicle have dual a/c(can you control the passenger and driver side separately. Is the air blowing hot out the passenger and drivers side?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not dual a/c, just one. The air is blowing fine at this point, but it is hot. Last night, it blew cold air, but the fan wasn't engaging fully. I had that problem with the blower/fan about a month ago. Right now, the fan blows fine, but it is warm air.
Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

I understand. Have you check to see was the compressor functioning? Are you are to check the vehicle now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't think its the compressor/evaporator because it was running icy cold this morning, I stopped by a gas station for 5 minutes when I turned the car back on, the a/c just blew hot air. Guessing a sensor/fuse/wiring/computer. I cannot check the car right now.
Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

Not a problem. I can help you. The first thing is to verify if the compressor clutch is engaging. If not, then you will need to check fuse #41 in the under the hood fuse box. If this fuse is good and functioning, the you should suspect the ground or power at the connector. The The compressor clutch relay is an internal part of the fuse box, and if the relay is faulty, you will have to have the fuse box serviced. If you are getting power, then the issue could likely be the compressor....

If the compressor clutch is engaging, then you should suspect the temperature blend door.

Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

Here I have provided the location for the fuses, the electrical information on the A/C, and the relay information.

Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

Here, I am providing testing and location for the air mix doors, along with the testing information. This door is located under the dash on the HVAC.

Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

You will need to check the compressor for operation. If the compressor is operating, then the blend door is the likely culprit. If it is not operating, and fuse is good, but no power to compressor, then the relay is likely faulty. If this is the case, then the fuse box will need to be serviced.

Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

Just as a reminder, please do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thanks again.