Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Key. 2015 versa. Wiggle the steering wheel and key at same…

No Mechanic's Assistant: What...

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2015 versa

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Versa yourself? What have you tried so far?

Wiggle the steering wheel and key at same time

7/23/2017
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, MasterTechnician

Hello, my name is***** exactly is going on with your car?

Key won't start car
I can't afford to keep paying you

I am not asking you to pay any further. Is the key tuning in the ignition?

No
My fingers hurt now from trying too much

If the key will not turn at all then either the tumbler has broke internally in the key lock cylinder, or most of the time it is because the steering wheel is yanked to one side. I would pull on it very hard in one direction or the other while turning the key. This may take two people.

Yeah i did the tugging...didn't work

If pulling on the steering wheel did not help then it should not be the steering lock. I have seen them get locked but if you put a lot of force into it and it still did not work then that should not be the issue. If the key itself is fine then the lock cylinder has an internal failure. I have seen a lot of these fail all of a sudden like this. The key cylinder would need to be replaced. I am assuming that the vehicle is still under warranty?

Yeah still under warranty

You will need to take it to the dealer then. If they need to replace the ignition then it will also need new keys cut for it.

Ok but they're not open right now and won't be open till monday. What do i do?

If the key tumbler is damaged there is not much you can do. If the wheel is locked then I would try a spare key if you have one. If not then you may not have any options other than to get it towed. In some cases I have seen dead batteries cause this so you may want to have it jumped. Also make sure that the shifter is all of the way in park.

Ok

I am sorry that I do not have better news. If you need any further help please let me know. Please rate the service you received from me also when you have time. Thank you.

FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, MasterTechnician