Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

My 2002 Nissan Pathfinder starts to move to side to side

Customer Question

My 2002 Nissan Pathfinder starts to move to side to side when trying to go constant speed, can you help me
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes it is everything works it just starts moving side to side by it's self when trying to go like 45 or 50
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

I would start by checking the transmission mount. If it's loose the tail shaft could be moving left to right and causing the wobble you feel.

If that's good, then the more common issue is the rear pan hard rod and control arm bushings. When these fail it creates a death wobble that makes it almost impossible to drive. Basically the whole rear axle is moving while you are going. I would start with the pan hard rod. This connects the axle to the body and should prevent it from moving side to side. If that doesn't fix it, then go to the control arms.

Check the transmission mounts first though.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?