Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My knock sensor code was found. My trucks run on highway say

for 20 minutes, but when...
my knock sensor code was found. My trucks run on highway say for 20 minutes, but when I exit and stop at end of ramp, the truck stalls. It will restart and I can drive until next stop.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: how much to replace and will this correct my problem?
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: I took it to auto zone and they told me and looked up the code, that is how I told you knock sensor
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2002, Frontier, SE 3.3L
JA: Are you fixing your Frontier yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new fuel filter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: took to shop, they said they found a hose leak and fixed and replaced catalytic converter, but problem still exists, they have no clue, they tried cheap way out, instead of rplacing the knock sensor
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/21/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The knock sensor will not cause stalling. It will not even turn on the Service Engine Soon light. Is the Service Engine Soon light on when the truck is running?

no, the light is not on ever, auto zone told me the code
could a bad mass meter boot leaking be a problem?
3 month ago I had a relay switch above the gas tank replaced, wire was courroaded, also changed spark plugs and wires and new distributor cap 2 months ago. All was ok until last week
What do you think could cause truck to stall when stopping or in low idle?

If there is no other code, there is a few things it could be...

When the truck stalls, does it stall like it ran out of gas, or like someone turned of the ignition?

like not getting enough gas, the rmp goes below 1000, if I keep my foot on gas and brake when stopped, I can sometimes keep going.

The Mass Air Flow Sensor is most common cause when there is no codes and stalling issues. I would also check the Air intake Duct for any rips. Un-metered air can also cause it to stall as well.

Other than the MAF sensor. The distributor is the other thing that can cause stalling with out throwing codes some times. It's going to be one of the 3 things though.

When it comes to electrical parts, I strongly recommend you get them from the dealer. After Market electrical parts never work right.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
ok, tks , I did order an air mass meter boot., and will get a mass air flow sensor. Do you know the part number for this? I will rate you 5 star, thank you

Sorry, I don't have access to part numbers

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician