Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Vibration in the steering wheel...a "twitch" at low speed

Hi, vibration in the steering...
Hi, vibration in the steering wheel...a "twitch" at low speed becomes a vibration at highway speed.
JA: How often does the vibration occur, and when did you last have the tires balanced?
Customer: vibration is constant and probably a year since last balance
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2005 Pathfinder XLE
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have not tried anything yet. Would fix myself if not too complex
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all I've got
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/20/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

I would start with either a wheel balance or a tire rotation to see if the vibration leaves the steering wheel. More then likely it's due to have the front tires balanced.

I would also check the brake pads, if they are frozen in the brake caliper brackets it can cause the rotors to get hot and cause a vibration. Also, if you hear any humming from the front when driving it could be a bad wheel bearing. It does sound like a wheel balance issue however. Rotating would move the vibration to the back and would be proof you need to have the tires balanced.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
OK, I'll go in that direction. Thank you for the help.

You are very welcome!Thank you for the rating!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician