Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner at Baltic investments
99232115

My 2008 Nissan Altima wont start, but the battery is fine

My 2008 Nissan Altima wont start, but the battery is fine and the electronics (radio, lights, etc.) work fine. It is a push start ignition and when I attempt to start there is a small clicking noise, maybe 5 clicks, that appears to be coming from around the fuse box under the hood.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

when you checked the battery how did you test it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
with a volt meter. we had AAA come
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
like a wrote, I tried to jump it and that didn't work so I don't think there's an issue with the battery
Customer: replied 3 months ago.

ok so you will need to verify 12v signal and ground at starter to ensure proper voltage is getting to starter, let me know what results you get.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I have to go to work now, but let me know if you have any other ideas of what it could be as well. Also if there is anyway to test some wiring, maybe with the ignition switch or any of the relays. I was also thinking the solenoid in the starter motor, because of the click noise, but don't have the equipment to test it so Ill have to bring it to a friend tomorrow. Thank you

sure thing have a good day at work!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Any other ideas of what it could be?

could be a lot of thing but we need this information first to know what to check next

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was the starter. Thanks for your help

Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much . This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well never mind. We put a new starter in and it worked for a day and a half and then tonight it started to make a wierd sound like the starter motor was continuing to get power even though the car was on and it was burning the motor. Then even when the car was completely off, you could still here the buzzing sound like the start was still continuing to get power and the motor was burning, you could smell it. I'm not 100% sure it was the starter that was making the sound but I'm pretty sure. I had to disconnect the battery and then the noise stopped.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm thinking maybe its the wiring or it was a bum starter that we bought, but it was new from autozone, so I doubt it. What do you think it could be? How could something still be getting power even though the car is off? Is there some kind of electrical switch to the starter that should be closing when the car is off/running?

If the starter shorted out internally you could have that problem for sure, I would go with the premium starter and see how that does

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I had money to burn I would try that but if I'm going to buy a new part I need to make sure that the same thing isn't going to happen again. So please if you have any advice on what else could be the issue, wiring, relays, connections, etc, that is what I'm looking for. I know that cars are not easy to assess without seeing them, but I bought this service to pick your head on anything I wouldn't think of myself. Thank for the quick response btw

you can take back the new starter and get a replacement, tell them it shorted out and it was a bad part, it happens all the time, to check the system, pull off starter and check terminals for power you should have 12v on the bigger wire and nothing on the signal wire, if you have power on the signal wire we will have to trace out the system, and it could be a computer or relay a switch, it could be many things