Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Key stuck in ignition and won't turn, Worn yes The steering…

Customer Question
Key stuck in ignition...

Key stuck in ignition and won't turn

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Worn yes The steering wheel is locked and the key is stuck

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

Altima 2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Jiggling the steering wheel and turning the key but it won't turn and yes I am by my self

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Nissan
7/12/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as the phone calls are concerned they do cost more and I am not the one asking for or pushing for a call the website is.

have you tried really hanging on the wheel I mean putting some serious body weight in either both directions and trying to pull the key

I will try
No it's not working

I am not able to talk at the moment, I hope text is ok

try shifting the shift selector in and out of park each time hit the brake pedal several time and try that several times and see if you can pull the key

can you turn the wheel at all and are you able to get the the key in any other positions?

The car is off
Can't move gear

Are you able to move the key in any position?

No

If you have any wd 40 spray in key hole with straw and lightly tap with hammer on key and and try moving the wheel back and forth again to see if the key comes out, mind you will have to use a lot of force when pulling on wheel

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician