Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have a 2010 nissan sentra. None of the steering wheel

Customer Question
I have a 2010 nissan...
I have a 2010 nissan sentra. None of the steering wheel controls work and the air bag symbol is blinking. Do you have any idea of what is problem may be?
JA: Just to clarify, how fast were you going and what did you hit?
Customer: Not the case at all. The steering wheel controls just started going out one at a time. The radio control, then the cruise control, then the horn and now the air bag blinking symbol
JA: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replacing fuses - didn't work. Looked up something called the ring control - haven't replaced it yet. But - read somewhere that there may be a wire that got cut within why turning the steering wheel that is behing the airbag
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Nissan
7/11/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Have you scanned the ABS system to see if there are any fault codes setting?

No other codes

The common cause for all the switch to stop working as well as the air bag light coming on is in most cases caused by a failing Spiral Cable also known as a clock spring which is the rotating contacts behind the steering wheel. If you are needing the replacement steps let me know and I post them for you.

Can you provide me the steps to repair and replace the cable

Sure thing, see the replacement steps in the link below. The Cable is #4 in the diagram.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Clock%20spring%20Jul%2011.pdf

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician