Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Howdy. My 07 murano is having issues with cruise control.

Howdy. My 07...

Howdy. My 07 murano is having issues with cruise control. What I thought was random turning off and often going into problem mode with the set light blinking quickly seems to have a relation to turning the wheel. Especially to the left. Then the cruise will not work again until the car is shut off and re-started. Outwardly, I can't link it to any movements of brake pedal

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

Yes and will check that over lunch hour.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Murano yourself? What have you tried so far?

Am fairly mechanical, but this is brand new problem to me

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of...

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/10/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Do you notice that when you turn the steering wheel the cruise control cancels?

Unable to maintain cruise control when driving curvy roads. It might kick out of CC two or three times and all I have to do is re-set but then it will start blinking and not able to use CC until shut car off and restart.

If it turns it's self off when turning the steering wheel that is a issue with the clock spring. That is what the steering wheel controls go through to operate the cruise control. If it breaks contact internally when the wheel is turned, the will cancel the cruise control. So that would need to be replaced to resolve your issue.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Is that a DIY job or do I need to take to dealer?

It is not recommended for a DIY since it involves the Air Bag system. The drivers air bag needs to be removed, steering wheel is removed then the clock spring is removed. Once replaced and after it's assembled, then you need to set the steering angle sensor to zero point.

Could that have been disrupted when I had wheels aligned and he straightened the steering wheel position?

No.. That would not affect it internally

If you had a steering rack replaced.. Maybe.. But not a simple wheel alignment...

Do you have any more questions on this?

Sorry, some interruptions here. Is there any way to diagnose further or is that the only solution that fits? Would I see any issues with any other steering wheel-mounted controls, such as the radio perhaps?

If your cruise control sets and is working, but as soon as you turn the steering wheel it shuts off, that is 100% your issue.

Sometimes it is already blinking and not working by the time I get to the highway... But I would have turned the steering wheel several times by then so no change in your diagnosis, right? Does the clock spring actually break or are there contacts that might need to be cleaned. Sorry if that's a silly question, but I've never seen one. (have rebuilt auto transmission, replaced starters, alternators, etc, but never have seen this issue)

The internal contacts can not be tampered with since the air bag system is part of it.

What I would say is if your driving and you are going straight, and you turn the system on and it works, but if you find it cancels as you turn the steering wheel, that is 100% your issue..

Okay, very helpful! Would like to try to fix myself if possible. Is airbag safe to remove if disconnected from battery for ?x minutes? And if I'm careful to line everything up the same as removed would the steering angle sensor still need to be reset?

When it comes to air bag systems, I never recommend for customers to tamper with them or work on them for safety reasons.

I don't want to take any responsibility for anything happening when working on a air bag system. That is why I don't recommend it.

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Got it. Thank you very much! I will rate as excellent!

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician