Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Saw this old post about crankshaft sensor and IPDM issues.

Hi, Saw this old...

Hi, Saw this old post about crankshaft sensor and IPDM issues.
Having same issues right now with my 2006 Armada. Won't start but just clicking noise when you turn the key on.
Bought new battery, and I just bought a new Nissan OE ECM relay from the dealership in Burien.
Put it in today. Still won't start. dealership says Nissan recall campaign bulletin NTB10-137b for IPDM ECM relay does not cover my VIN.?Also bought aftermarket position sensors from AutoZone. One says it's a CMP (camshaft), the other says it's a CKP (crankshft).
Haven't put them in yet becasue they look the same? Plu, the misses wants me to go get factory Nissan ones after she came across this old post. Might have to. But what are your thoughts?
Would greatly appreciate any info you can give. Thanks much in advance.David S.
Ken

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Key is ok, yes sterring wheel can turn but not much without the truck running of course.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Armada yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far, I changed the battery. also changed the OE ECM realy I got from nissan dealership. I bought sone sensors from local autzone but haven't put them in yet. maybe I go get orig nissan sensors the wife said.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I couldnt think of anything else except that one day it just wont start. the first indication was last week when I have to turn the hold the key on for a long period of time before it fires up. next door mechanics think I need new starter. But I thought i'd get some second opinion first before I begin some major heart surgery on my mada. Thanks much.

7/10/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution.

Are you getting any codes in the vehicle?

only code that shows was from catalytic converter bank 2, which i already know. but does not make sense that the cat will not let the engine start if it is faulty. i still saving money for the cat replacement. but i need the truck to run so i can go to work.

Have you verified voltage at starter solenoid, starter 12v and ground to starter?

no i haven't sir. i don't have an ohmmeter and this problem just started.

that would be step 1 if no multimeter try tapping on starter why someone tries to crank, the CMP and CKT would cause it not to start but not what your experiencing, and you would need 2 cam and one crank sensor if your going to replace them, I always do all 3, I would also recommend the nissan sensors as I have seen the aftermarket ones fail

i would have to take off the plastic engine cover and the entire intake manifold in order to reach the starter/starter solenoid location. I don't think the starter solenoid is visible or reachable. Ar they at the usual under rear of engine near the bell housing
location? i didn't see them today when I got under the truck.

The solenoid is on the starter.

i think i only need one crankshaft and one camshaft sensors. the crankshaft position sensor i see was near the bell housing passenger side under the engine. the camshaft position sensor is at the back of the cylinder head near the firewall. Chilton book confirms their location.

theres 2 cam sensors though, im a nissan tech, I promise you there is 2

maybe im wrong, maybe there are 2 camshaft sensors. they would be on the front of the engine @ bank 1 and 2. i will have to check again.
but the access to the starter and the solenoid that piggybacks on the starter is next to impossible unless i remove the the intake manifold.

you have to get under the truck to access the starter

ok. I will crawl down there again no problem. Thanks.

Let me know if you can get it going, more than likely its that starter but we iwll have to confirm with tests for sure

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
ok. thank much!