Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Key won't turn in the ignition. the key may be a bit worn,

Customer Question
Key won't turn in...

Key won't turn in the ignition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

The key may be a bit worn, but the steering column is locked to the right...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2012 versa

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Versa yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried finding a sweet spot in the locked position, tried rocking the vehicle, the brake is rigid and the shifter is stuck in drive as well...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats really about it...

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Nissan
7/10/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician replied 9 months ago
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I'm here to help everyday, but not every hour of the day, never in the morning. I try to prevent delays as much as possible. Please understand I can only advise based on what you tell me, so details are important. PHONE CALLS, they do cost more and some I do fulfill, I am not the one asking for or pushing a call, the website is. Let's get started.

Set the parking brake and raise both front wheels off the ground to see if this allows the tension on the steering to release so the key can then turn. If that fails then the key or lock cylinder tumblers are worn down and will need to be replaced.

Please make sure to rate my answer prior to logging off, as this is how I get credit for helping you. If you have not yet received 5 star excellent service from me. Please follow up so you get everything from me that you expected from the deposit you have already paid, which I get nothing of till you rate me. Rating does not close the post nor prevent replying at a later date.

Thanks Moose

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician