Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

The ignition locked and I can't turn the key, The key looks

The ignition locked and I...
The ignition locked and I can't turn the key
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: The key looks worn. The steering wheel can't move to the left, my a little movement to the right.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2001 Nissan xterra
JA: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't done anything. Just happened this morning.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's the only issue.
7/6/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Is the truck parked on level ground or on a hill? Also , are the wheels turned or straight?

It's parked on a drive way with a slight tilt ( Hard to see but water travels down it).
The wheels are straight but the steering wheel is turned to the right.
Hi Jay

Normally with this type of situation if you use some force and turn the wheel very slowly while turning the key you can get the steering lock to release.. I would right to the Right first, then to the left..

Give that a try and let me know how you make out..

ok
Nothing. It's moving a little but still locked.
The key is moving a little, but still locked.

Do you have another key you can try?

No, when I bought it, the owner only had one key.

Are you turning it slow while trying to turn the key? It may require a little force..

I'm turning the s wheel slow. I've tried it with force, the first few time this morning.

Each direction?

to the left it's locked. It only moves to the right.I didn't put excessive force to the left, in fear of breaking something.

You won't break it.. It should have some play in each direction a little. So if you can not move it to the left, that is the way I would focus on trying to turn it to see if would release...

ok, I'll try excessive force to the left, while turning the key. brb

Ok.. Slow force .... Key is slowly..

still not doing anything. I gives to the left, a little, but the key isn't turning.

Let me explain the steering lock system for you so you understand. That could help you get it unlocked..

So picture a dead bolt for a door. When you lock or unlock a door with a dead bolt, have you ever had to push the door in to lock it or wiggle it to get it to lock?

I see, has to align somwhow?

The ignition switch has a dead bolt type of operation, So it pops out and goes into a slot in the column to lock it. So like a door you have to find that sweet spot to giggle it to get the pressure off the dead bolt so you can turn the key..

ok, I'll try again.

ok

Nothing is happening, Jay. I hear it give a little, but not turning.

The next thing is if the key is worn, it may not turn the tumblers properly under steering lock pressure.

The key is a little worn.
Then again, I wouldn't know what a worn key would look like. I don't see any points on the key .

Can you take a picture of the key and show me?

cool.. This way I can see how worn it is to determine if that is your issue.

Ok, I took a photo from the 'add files' option

It did not come through. Did you attach the file?

because it should the file number with a green check on the left and remove option on the right.
I'll try again

k

Did it go through?

nope

I don't know what's up. I see the file number with a green check.Would changing the whole ignition be best, ***** ***** the key?

You may need to call a locksmith if it's a key issue.

can't I just get another key from nissan?

You can, but here is the problem. They may not be able to pull the key code to make another key cause the vehicle is over 11 years old. Tracing a worn key may not work also..

I understand. So I guess, changing the ignition cylinder is best?

That is why I am suggesting a mobile locksmith. He may be able to come out and make a key or get it working in the ignition for you..

Ok, I'll try that. If that doesn't work, then what should I do?

The Locksmith if he can't get it, then it would need a ignition switch assembly.

Ok, thanks for the information. I'll try the locksmith

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician