Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I am getting a P0325 error code- knock sensor 1 circuit bank

Hi Mike. I am getting...
Hi Mike. I am getting a P0325 error code- knock sensor 1 circuit bank 1 on my 2001 Nissan Xterra 3.3 V6.I do not want to take the entire engine apart to get to the factory installed knock sensor. I've seen YouTube videos that you can do a relocation on the knock sensor. So I have purchased a new knock sensor harness and new knock sensor and in my mind, all I have to do now is to connect the new knock sensor harness but I am exactly sure where to do that. Please see attached word document with pictures of my Xterra engine.My question is, where is the knock sensor harness clip that I can remove and clip in the new harness? I think I've narrowed it down to two possibilities- see pictures on Word doc, but before I start pulling things apart I wanted to ask you to make sure I got the right one.Thanks so much
George
6/8/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Hey George, give me a couple of minutes to take a look at the wiring harness routing for the knock sensor. I have always done them the old fashioned way taking the intake off and what not. I should be able to locate the connector for you. Just need a few minutes.

Great. Please do take a look at the attached document with pictures. If you refer to the pictures on that doc, it will greatly help me understand where it's located.Thanks Mike.
George

I have and I am going to attempt to match them up to the harness connector and routing to give us a clear pic of where it is.

Got it. I'll go take a look at this right now. Thanks!

You're very welcome!! Please let me know and please remember to rate!

Well, not sure if that's the right place to connect the knock sensor harness. Please see attached doc with couple of pictures.Thank you
George

Yep I see it, give me another couple minutes to do some digging,

Thanks Mike. Really appreciate the help.Thanks

What color wires does that new harness have in it? Is there more then one wire?

Let me see if I can explain what I am seeing in the wiring diagram. The knock sensor is showing a 2 wire connector, that attaches right at the knock sensor, then it's showing the white wire goes off to the connector I showed you on pin #5. If you look at that connector, it should be a white wire, that is actually the wire for the knock sensor. This of course is per the wiring diagram, so that leaves me a dilemma because I can't be sure where else it would connect. The black wire appears to be the shielded wire. Please see the attached wiring diagram

the knock sensor currently in the Xterra- the wires of the harness are "intermingled" with other wires by the time we get to where it clips on the connector. Would that be a correct way of looking at it? If so, my factory harness does not help me much because I don't have a direct place to clip it to- correct?

From what I can see in the diagram, the only place there is a 2 wire connection is where it connects to the sensor itself. Otherwise, it's going through that larger connector. So, what I would do with the harness you have is relocate the sensor, then run the black wire to the black wire on the large connector and the white to the white, this should bypass the old connector under the intake. So, I think it helps in that it's giving you the right colors and the length to move the sensor, but, It's not going to connect directly to anything other then the knock sensor. If you look at the wiring diagram, there are 3 connections, one at the sensor, one on the large connector I showed you and the last one is at the computer. That's all there is for this.

Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Thank you Mike. I appreciate all the research and help. I understand now how it all works and comes together. In looking at the wires, it's not easy to see which ones because there appears to be 3 white wires coming in. I may end up looking to replace the knock sensor directly.I do appreciate your help and expertise.
George

George, the wiring diagram I gave you has numbers on it, the F37 and F101 connectors are the large connector. Then, if you look at the bottom where I have it highlighted there are numbers on the connectors. These are shown as if you have it unplugged and you are looking into them. I highlighted #5, that is the white wire, so you can follow it from the connector, #6 is the black wire which is a ground for the shield.

Now, I really want to tell you that the knock sensor will not turn the check engine light on and most of the time the code is in there. You can get away without doing anything, but if the light is on, some other code is causing it to be on.

Thank you for the rating!

Oh, so in the end, it may not be the knock sensor at all- interesting.Thanks again for your help and expertise. Much appreciated.
George

No, if you have a check engine light, you need to work on other codes, like I said, the knock sensor won't turn the light on. In fact most of the time the code is there, you just don' t know it until the light comes on for something else.

I see. Well, that is the only code I am getting. I was getting an oxygen sensor code- and that has been taken care of- you helped me with that one as well. So it's the last code to clear and the engine is knocking hard and loudly. P0325 error code. So I thought I needed to replace the knock sensor. These things can get a little tricky. :)

If the engine is knocking,, you have to find out why, that will set the knock sensor code. But again, the light should be off now even with the code.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician