Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just replocated my knock sensor and its running rough and…

Hey I just replocated...

Hey I just replocated my knock sensor and its running rough and cutting off now

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you metered out the ignition system?

Ive checked to make sure there is a good spark

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

It is cuz I put new plugs and wires 6 months ago 2003 Nissan xterra se 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?

My dad hes a professional mechanic well I got pig tail off of another xterra separated the two wires in the black ks wire on top of intake wired it up to new knock sensor and bolted that on top on intake but it spuders now and cuts off randomly while it has a intake valve tick ob right side of engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Will reloacin the ks do this

5/26/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Since I was not there to see what you did, I will need to ask questions on the work you performed.

Did you undo any of the harness connectors on the passenger side while doing this work?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no I just cut black wire goiin to old ks and wired up new one directly off it

That is a shielded wire. Did you ground out the shielded wire when relocating the sensor? You didn't unplug any 02 sensors or anything?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is, no I watched mny youtube videos and they all ssaid wire it up to one of 2 wires goin to new ks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did that and the center yellow wire the other wire in connector

Well at this point if you wired it wrong or cut a power wire that was live you could have affected the Ecm since it's controlled by that.

Did you disconnect the battery when you were doing it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok so do yu not wire it up to new ks like that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok yea my dad is a 30yr Honda mechanic and we did it

at this point I would wire it back up to factory and see if it returns back to normal operation. Cutting into the harness and relocating is not a recommended repair.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I went directly by many videos doig this and not havin trouble after relocating it

This running issue all started after you relocated it correct? or has it been ok for a while and now it's acting up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yea I was just tryig to bypass havig to take intake and off
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all after relocating

Pulling these intakes are not that bad. But if this all stared after you relocated it, I would put it back to factory and see if the truck returns to normal operation at this point.

I get these knock sensors done in a 1 1/2 hours or less.

Just bleeding the coolant system after doing these jobs, that takes about a hour or so to do.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there a way I can get to the ks underneath intake just to unplug clip and use it without takin intake off
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cuz I really don't want to get that deep into it, does relocating ks effect engine cuz if not I can just buy new plug in and use it

I have seen where relocating the knock sensor back fires. I have seen where it works. At this point I would wire it all back up to factory and just get it back in to working order. I know you don't want to get into pulling the intake, but there is no other way to access the knock sensor.

The knock sensor is a direct wire to the Ecm. I can give you the wiring diagram if you want to see it and use that to try to check your wiring?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok will it hurt it driving it until I can relocate it, its very sluggish but still runs
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok yes do please

The knock sensor really won't affect how it runs. It doesn't even turn on the Service Engine soon light.

Hang on, let me get it for you..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cuz it may be on wrong wires
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hmm well ever sincei relocated its sluggish and flutters and cuts off at idle thowin p327

That is the complete diagnostic chapter so you can go through that circuit properly

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
before relocating it threw p328
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician