Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My car doesn't start and showing a yellow key light, On the

My car doesn't start and showing a yellow key light
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: On the dashboard
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2014 sentra
JA: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Lol...took it to dealership and they said it's fine...went to auto part store for new battery in key and they v checked and said it's fine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is also a red car with a key that lights up
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello.

hey there, thanks for the question.

the red car with key light is NORMAL if flashing, if solid with ignition to ON then that is a concern.

What happens when you hit the start button? does the ignition go to ACC? does it remain on lock? or doe sit crank?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Bit it's not starting and showing a yellow key light on left side...eventually it will start on its on
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It acts like it's a dead battery...nothing is lit except the yellow key light

but DOES the ignition position change? does it change to ACC or ON? or does it say LOCK?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know what you mean ignition position change? The push button isn't lit up and when I push the brake to start, the 2 lights come on
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me take that back...button lights up when I first get in car but goes out as I'm sitting in trying to start
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I place the key next to the button and sometimes it will just start without me doing anuthing

so to clarify, you have the start button like i mentioned and NOT the plastic knob version.

it ONLY works if you hold the key up to it?

because if so it was a key recognition issue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a start button that is kind of a round plastic button...and it doesn't always start when I do that...I'm to the ppint that I do anything to get it started...
Thank you for the clarification, if the key is recognized when you press the start button it will go to ACC or on position
If the key is not recognized, then when you press start underneath the button it will still say lock and you will have no radio etc.
That's why I need to know exactly what happens when you press start, so I know if we are looking at a key recognition issue or something else
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have nothing when I press start
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sometimes the brake won't even budge, if that makes sense
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I Googled the yellow light and it stated a steering lock control issue, is this a possibility?
That was a big issue on the 2009 models, but you indicated this was a 2014 correct
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sir
Are you at the car now?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Turn the steering wheel and make it lock
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is
Then you know it's not steering lock related
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No its not, it won't lock
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can keep turning it...
Hold on one second for me OK
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
K
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just so you know I am in middle of interviews for jobs and panicking right now
Thank you are you still at the car?
We will get you taken care of
I was just driving and had to pull up the manual on my phone to see which steering lock version your Sentra had
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You're good
Are you in a position where you can take the intelligent key outside of the vehicle and see if you can get the steering wheel to lock then
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry, what?
Take your intelligent key outside of the vehicle, your key fob
that it does not detect the key
Then see if the steering wheel will lock when you move it ,
If it does not I will need you to look underneath the driver side of the – up on the steering column for an aluminum casing mounted to the steering column
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It still doesn't lock
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I even put it in my house lol
Thanks, ***** ***** the dash up the steering column for me, for an aluminum case mounted to the column
That's the electric lock solenoid. Take something long like a ratchet handle and give it a single solid tap
Then see if the key light goes out and the car will start
Sometimes the solenoid sticks or becomes Mis-aligned and a solid tap will get it to engage
A long extension works even better if you have one
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am hitting anything that seems metal
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got it started but light is still yellow
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Now it's flashing orange and won't start again
Gotcha, that's a good indication there is an issue with it since it started after tapping it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ya think? Dealership told me nothing is wrong
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Everyday...I am spending 10 minutes playing around to get it started each time I get in it...I videoed it this morning lol
If it wasn't acting up at the time they had it, then there is no way to know.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand to a point but it's frustrating as I explained everything to them
You playing around with it likely got the steering lock to engage. You may be able to adjust it. If you remove the column cover are off a bit.
Tell them the yellow key light was on and the steering would not lock. Let them k ow you had to tap the steering lock to get it to lock.
then it started, now that the light remains on though they can tell themselves.
It's pretty uncommon on your year model which is likely why they probably didn't check it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But it never locked...it started but the steering wheel never locked and still not locke
That's not uncommon.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Of course it's not common...leave it to me to have something wrong that's not normal. Thank you for your time, I'm tired and frustrated so I'm going to say have a good night...another probably $600 I am going to pay to get this fixed which is the norm for the dealershio
I'm sorry, if I was there I'd be happy to help further but I can only help you diagnose over the net. Please remember to rate me based off my assistance and not a circumstance I can't help.
I will leave this question open, so after you talk to the dealership, if you have concerns about their suggestions you can ask me forst