Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

Battery is 8 months old. Was dead, jumped and drove 1.5

Customer Question

Battery is 8 months old. Was dead, jumped and drove 1.5 hours on highway now dead again after a short stop.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: It did have a little leak at the contact
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2011
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Waiting on AAA
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I left the car for three months this winter and it started on a dime
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. If your battery is leaking, then you need to definitely replace it. If you drove for 1.5 hours and it died after you shut off the vehicle, that means that it is not holding a charge. The battery being faulty and not holding charge causes the alternator the overwork itself and fail prematurely.

Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

You should have the battery and the alternator tested and have these components replaced as needed. I am leaning towards it just being the battery that is causing your issue.

Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. Waiting on AAA. Will have battery and alternator tested. It was in an airport parking for five days. They said the planes trip the alarm systems a lot.
Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

I understand. That may be, but if your got it started, drove for 1.5 hours, then the battery should have been fully charged.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's what I assumed would be the case. Must be the alternator?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The same thing actually happened in Oct when I changed the battery. I got a jump drove and then it was just dead
Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

Okay, that's good to know. I will assume the alternator is not charging at the proper voltage. I still advise the have to alternator and the battery checked.

Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.

Keep me posted. If you have any further questions on this issue let me know. Also, please don't forget to rate the service. Thanks again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
AAA guy says alternator fine. He thinks it was a fluke and should charge now as I drive. He said just to get the corrosion cleaned off the one contact. He had trouble getting his cable to connect. He said the alternator was working so it should be charging.
Expert:  Todd M replied 4 months ago.
Sounds great. I figured the alternator was good, because of Not you would not have madeit 1.5 hours. If you have the problem again, you know it's the battery. If your battery is leaking, you should replace it. Also remember, if the battery is the issue, it will make the alternator fail