Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2009 Altima hybrid, was driving when it started to putter…

hello, 2009 Altima hybrid, was driving...
hello,
2009 Altima hybrid, was driving when it started to putter almost felt like i was getting a flat, pulled over and shut the car all the lights were working car had juice but would not start, radiator fan was working. i had it towed, nissan said it could be 12v battery and computer start there $2k. i had it towed back to my brothers.
he tried two things which he successfully started and moved but only for a short period of time.
why would using another car to jump get car started but not a battery booster pack?
what could be the cause of the car not starting?
5/15/2017
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The reason the car may not have started with a jumper pack is cause the jump pack has a certain cca. Where if you have a running car jump starting the car, it will have a higher voltage.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi,
any idea on why the car died?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Did you scan the vehicle for codes?

Does the radiator fans come on when the ignition is pressed to the ON position?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi,
yes the fan comes on when ignition is pressed to on.prior to it was getting code p0128 and i changed out the thernostat upper and lower.

If the Radiator fans come on when the ignition is turned on, that is a sign of control unit failure.

As for your thermostat, there is a special way that the coolant system has to be bleed when you change it. Did you bleed the coolant system?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi,no i did not drain the coolant system

Well if you changed the thermostat, you opened up the coolant system. Which would require the coolant system to be bleed. But the most important thing is to determine what control unit has failed since the fans are coming on.

Then you can bleed the coolant system.. Let me explain how it's done. Since it's a Hybrid, you have to keep one of the doors open so the Engine Stays running and so it doesn't go into Hybrid mode.

To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket ( See Links for images ). Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine a few times to move the coolant around to get the air out. I also turn the engine off a couple times and wait 2 or 3 mins to let the air pocket move and bubble out. In the mean time you want to check your vents to see if your getting heat. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how can i determine which control unit failed?

You would need to do CAN diagnostics to determine what control unit is not communicating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you, ***** ***** be back to share my results

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
absolutley, your responses were timley. now i have to put it to work ��
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that ? was suppose to be a smiley face :) tag

:)

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician