Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2015 Nissan Pathfiner. The remote fob opens and

Customer Question

I have a 2015 Nissan Pathfiner. The remote fob opens and closes doors just fine, but occasionally I am getting a "Key ID Incorrect" message and it will take up to ten tries to get the car to start. Recently replaced the battery because of this, but it may be getting worse. Thoughts?
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Yes, the battery read 3.3 on a voltmeter. First time changing it.
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, only changed battery.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Just this key issue.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I have seen where new remote batteries if being on the shelf for a period of time ( cause they don't rotate stock ) will be weak or even dead. I would try 1 more remote battery and see if that resolves your issue. Since this is a 2015, if you have under 36,000 miles, this would be under warranty. So I would have the dealer change the battery for you at no charge and I am sure that will resolve your issue. If it was a remote issue, that would also be covered, but if it was a remote issue, it would not work at all. Plus just so you know, if the remote stopped working, to start the car all you have to do is hold the Nissan logo on the remote over the start button and hit the start button and that is how you would emergency start the car.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Jay,
Thanks for your response. I've tested the battery with a voltmeter and it read 3.3. Something else is going on. Of course I can take it to the dealer, but it was worth it to me to pay $20 to not have to.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Here is a perfect way to test it actually. Do you have any issues with your other remote?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I prefer communicating through the website. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We bought the car used and the dealer only gave us one remote.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

No problem, we can still communicate like this. I was going to suggest if you have no issues with your second remote, try swapping the batteries and see if the problem switches..

Oh.. You only have one remote? How many miles on the car?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
About 18,000.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Don't see remote issues really on these cars. If there is a remote issue, it wouldn't work at all, or one function such as lock or unlock would not work. The car is still under warranty. I know you don't want to swing by the dealer, but if it's as simple as a defective remote battery, it could fool you since you just replaced it. The dealer would replace the remote battery for you at no charge, at the same time if you only have one remote, you may want to purchase a 2nd one and have that programmed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok