Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

1999 Nissan Pathfinder will only start after about 20

Customer Question
minutes of cranking. Once it...
1999 Nissan Pathfinder will only start after about 20 minutes of cranking. Once it finally starts idles fine can rev if you give partial throttle, but seems to choke out and die if you go full throttle even even you just snap it to the floor and let off it tries to die. Problem started out of nowhere was leaving a place and it died while I was trying to accelerate. After a tow home, new dis cap, rotor, plug wires. Same issue. It will drive but once you accelerate too hard it will die and not start back unless you crank it for 20 minutes or so. CEL said p0325( knock sensor) and p1444 (purge volume control) cleared codes and have not returned yet. Same issue though. I'm lost I don't know if maybe it is the crank sensor, but assume it would throw the code if so.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Nissan
5/11/2017
Nissan Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** have been a dealer tech for 20 years. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Sounds great I'm open to opinions lol.

It is possible that the fuel pump is not working or is weak. The best way to verify this is to use a fuel pressure gauge on the engine and see if you are getting fuel. Another thing to try is to use some starting fluid in the air intake and see if the engine will try and start.

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session positive will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have.
CLICK HERE for rating system example.
Please read this:
Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and do not work for Just Answer.
2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say "I'm satisfied".
3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.
Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric

I did try to spray card/choke cleaner in the intake and it did not effect it, might need an actual can of starter fluid though. Where is the best place to check the fuel pressure at the rail?
I can smell fuel almost like it is flooding, but can not see any leaks anywhere.
I was thinking a weak fuel pump possibly a bad filter as well. I got it started yesterday and left it idle for about an hour hoping it was bad gas I added 3 gallons of premium and a bottle of alcohol to the tank before I left it to idle. Same problem today though.

Smelling fuel could indicate that fuel is getting to the motor but you will not know for sure unless you check the pressure. To check pressure you need to t-in a fuel pressure gauge where the fuel line connects to the fuel rail. Sounds like a fuel issue since once it is running you can not throttle it. Sometimes the mass air flow sensor can cause issues like this as well. You could unplug it and see if there is a change in the way the vehicle is acting.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.
Please read this:
Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric

Ok it's already 9pm here so I'm going to pack it up. I'll grab a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow and check it. What should the pressure be around 40psi with key on and Engine off?

Pressure should be around 35-40psi. Sounds good. Let me know what you find. And also note that after the chat is rated positive it will remain open for further follow up questions.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.
Please read this:
Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric

When I went to buy a fuel pressure gauge the kit was $50 and the fuel pump was $70. I went ahead and grabbed the pump. Changed it out and same issue. Could it be some kind of temp sensor and maybe me cranking it for 20 mins heats it up enough to start? Long shot but a thought I had. Could a bad fuel filter cause this? Any other ideas?

Yes a fuel filter could cause this. Especially if it is about plugged. Its good practice to replace the filter when doing a pump.

Also, does it make a difference if you use some throttle pedal to get it started?

CLICK HERE for rating system example.
Please read this:
Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric

Very little if any difference when giving it throttle.

Ok. Since you have a purge valve fault code, perhaps you can check the valve and make sure it is not pulling fumes from the tank with it unplugged. It should only allow engine vacuum through when it is plugged in.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.
Please read this:
Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric

Could that actually cause something like this? I assumed it was mostly for evap emissions.

It is only for evap emissions. It opens to suck fuel tank vapors from the charcoal canister and fuel tank to reburn. But if the valve is stuck open it can cause a hard start, or rough starting after fueling, or running rough. If it can cause hard starting it may be able to cause a no start. That valve is common to cause those symptoms.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.
Please read this:
Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric

Ok I'll have to look online to see exactly where the purge valve is and exactly how to test it. I'll let you know how it goes.

To check the evap purge valve unplug it and make sure vacuum is not flowing through it. Also you may want to check/clean the idle air control valve. it allows air past the throttle body. Usually the vehicle will start when throttle is applied if that iacv is not working, but may have no or rough idle.

CLICK HERE for engine component locations.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.
Please read this:
Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric

Ok new fuel filter is on but no help. The purge valve seems to be bad I'm guessing. When I unplugged the blue electric clip and took one of the hoses off there was still vacuum coming through the nipple on the valve. Does that mean it's bad? I really don't want to spend $80 on it if it's not the problem. I am going to try and clean the iacv next to see if that helps at all. Does the throttle body have to be removed to do this?

The purge valve does sound bad. It should not continually let vacuum flow through. Especially when the connector is unplugged. If you want to check how it runs with it working correctly, for now remove the vacuum line at the valve or the engine and plug it off so there is no vacuum leak and see how it runs. You dont have to remove the throttle body but it is easier. I would be surprised if the iac is the problem because if you open the throttle the vehicle would still run fine with a bad iac. It would just have trouble idling.

Blocking purge valve doesn't seem to do much. If I have the car running it is perfect as long as you don't go above 1/4-1/2 throttle any more than that it will stall/choke out. I'm out of ideas at this point.

I wonder if the exhaust may be plugged. You may want to lower the exhaust at the y-pipes and then redrive it and see if it is better.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician