Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Wont start,has red 🚗 symbol, I have power,doors unlock,

Customer Question

Wont start,has red 🚗 symbol
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: I have power,doors unlock
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2012 infinity 35
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes,wife just got off work and doors unlocked but wont start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will be at car in 10 minutes
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.
Hey there, I apologize for the delay. The red car with key symbol flashing is normal.
Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.
If the car won't start then start by making sure the headlights work so we can see if the battery has any power.
Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.
If so then see if pishings the start button turns it ACC/On
Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.
If it goeses to ACC or On then it recognizes the key. If it stays in LOCK then the key is not recognized .
Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.
Let me know please
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Key is recognized,appears that steering wheel is not locking therefore not letting car start,i had rolled down windows with jey in door,but went to leave and they would not go back up,i have full extended warranty and can getvrepaired tomorrow but it is currently setting in a parking lot with Windows down
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Good night,sure hope i wasnt charged for this.
Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.
I apologize, I literally fell asleep was in bed on my phone trying to help with some questions. I hope all is well today.
Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.
The 2012 year model should not be effected by the steering lock issues as they removed the electronic lock module in 2010 because of all the problems.
Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.
If the key is recognized, it's usually not attempting to start because either the battery is dead or the brake switch is not working (no brake lights)
Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.
The window feature with the key in door is a mechanical function. It does not require key recognition. If the key is recognized when you press start it goes to ACC mode or ON and you can operate radio and other accessories.