Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Changed cam and. it cranks but will not start crank sensors.

car will not start JA: Does...
changed cam and. it cranks but will not start crank sensors. car will not start
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: no, it doesnt start at all. cranks but wont start. no spark
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2002 nissan sentra
JA: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced cam and crank sensor as per diagnostic codes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i do not get any spark. fuel pump seems to work
5/2/2017
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

Hey there, thanks for the question.

So you currently have NO SPARK.

• The engine cranks normally
  • The cam and cranks sensors have been replaced.

This all correct?

If so i need to know this:

• Do you still have codes for the cam or crank sensor?
  • Did you use aftermarket parts or Nissan sensors?
The parts i purchased from Advanced Auto. A reputable auto parts store. I am trying to get the codes. It was P0335 or something. Waiting on my son for an answer.
P035, P040. not 100% sure

Thanks, ***** ***** familiar with Advanced Auto parts, but their parts are aftermarket.

The reason I asked this is because it's not uncommon for people to install aftermarket cam sensors and the code NOT go away. I have seen it more times than I can count. That is why when dealing with CAM sensors and MAF sensors, I tell people to always buy the dealer part.

Since you already replaced the sensor with an aftermarket part you need to double check the sensor is flush and bolted securely in place. Additionally make sure the connector is fully locked in place. This will be the place to start. Generally there is ONLY 2 reasons we would see a cam or crank sensor code. A. the sensor or wiring connector to the sensor is faulty. B. There is an issue with the signal plate or the timing chain.

In this case, I would bet it simply needs the wiring checked or a dealer part installed.

I appreciate the advice. I did check the old sensors to the new ones before replacing with a continuity meter and it did seem like the sensors were bad. I will check to see if the sensors are seated properly. I am worried that the timing chain is worn. Would that cause a no spark issue?
If the timing chain jumped time or the tensioner was loose it could cause a no spark issue, yes.
I will be honest though, usually when the cam sensor code remains it's a sensor or connector issue though.
ok. what is the signal plate?
The signal plate is what's on the cam face that the cam sensor read S to detect engine speed and location/timing
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician