Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

My car won't start. I left my lights on at where can I get a

My car won't start. I left my lights on at where can I get a jump in the car started but it had an electrical smell and it was something funny. I got out the car and turn the car off and went in the house for a second and I came back outside in the car but not crank. I got another dump it seems like a charge the battery for the car will not crank still. I went to AutoZone in change the break pedal sensor and it still didn't start.
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: My tank is on Full in the spark plugs are working
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2012 nissan altima 2.5s
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I jumped it and cha.ged the break pedal sensor

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Does the head lights turn on? Do you see signs of power?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah there is power in the car and the headlights turn on

Does the brake lights work when you step on the brake pedal? Also if you don't step on the brake pedal, and you press the start button 2 times, does all the dash warning lights come on?

Payment Failed. You would need to update the terms of payment if you would like to use the Premium service and speak on the phone.

If you don't want to do the premium service, we can continue like this.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
brake light are on and all the was warning lights come on

Do you hear a Single Click when trying to start the car? Rapid clicking? no noise?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A rapid single click

A rapid click is normally a sign of a weak battery. Did you try jump starting the car?

Status: payment failure ( for Premium Service )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actually it's no noise it's just the noise when I push the push start button

Ok.. Did you happen to try to jump start the car?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah. At work I jump started it and it worked. I drove it for a bit and cut the car off and the it wouldn't start again. I got a jump and it wouldn't work it seems like the car has battery

The Starting system is the Biggest Draw on the battery. If the car starts again with a jump start, then you are most likely looking at needing a battery.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
After the first jump the car sounded funny and there was a weird electrical smell.

That could be a burned start or something, but I would try to jump start and see if it starts..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried a jump start the first time it worked the secknd time it didn't maybe I should take the battery out and take it to the store

Store battery testers are not very good.. But if you are going as far as taking the battery out, you might want to replace it.

How old is the battery?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1 year old

Is it a Duralast?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gold

Those are not good batteries. Interstate are the best ones to get.. I would have it checked and replaced as needed

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I took it out its auto craft gold

Lets take it to get it checked. When you have a possible bad battery ( bad cell ) you always test it around 3 times. Sometimes if it has a bad cell it will pass a battery test, that is why you check it 3 times..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Someone suggested that I needed a neutral safety switch what do you think about that

The Neutral Safety switch, that allows the car to start in Park & Neutral. If you can jump start the car and it starts, there is no way that is your issue. Plus the CVT Transmission has them more or less internal.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The battery is good it just needs to charge so I kept it. My father came with his booster pack I'm gonna install the battery and try and start it

Ok...

Keep in mind, if it's not load tested, there is no way of knowing for sure if it's good or not. The starter is the biggest draw on the battery. That would be it's load test. So lets see if it jump starts. If so, then charge the battery up and let it sit for a while and then see if it starts on it's own. That will be the test.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It doesn't start with a jump

Lets just take one thing at a time. Lets see if it starts. It sounds like everything is there for it to start, just needs a little help ( jump )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just jumped it and it won't start

What is it doing exactly? Same thing? Did you try starting it in neutral?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah it's doing the same thing. And yes I was starting it in neutral
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the steering will wasn't locked

If it starts in neutral, it could be a shifter adjustment..

Your car does not have steering lock. They did away with that in 2012..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I mean I was trying to start it in neautral I have a stick shift and it didn't start

This is a stick?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah

I am now thinking Clutch Switch.. Does the car push start?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah push start

If it push starts, I am thinking your issue is the clutch switch

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah, I hope so. So I should work on that before the neutral safety switch?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that located right above the clutch right. I'd have to take off a few panels

Absolutely. Since this is a stick, it looks for two signals. Brake Signal and Clutch signal to engage the starter.

Yes, it's mounted on the clutch pedal.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I changed the brake signal switch already because it was easiest to get to but it didn't start. But what is the switch called directly to the right of the brake signal switch?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cruise control sensor

You have two switches at the Brake Pedal. The Brake Switch and the Cruise Control Cancel Switch

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. So get the clutch switch and change that before the neutral clutch switch?

Well with out a scanner, it's a guessing game. If you had a scanner you could see if the Clutch switch is working and if the Clutch Neutral is working

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Right. Another question where is the neutral clutch switch located on my car?

Don't see many manuals any more.. Hold on, let me check for you..

It looks like it's right on top of the transmission. It's called "Transmission Range Switch "

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok9

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just need schematics or instruction on how to locate the neutral safety switch
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is the other name for transmission range switch
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we're can I get more schematics like this

I said that already.. Yes..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh yeah u did. Thanks a lot

Your welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.com

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hey, I changed out the clutch switch and the transmission range switch. The battery died again so I went to get a booster box that had 12% charge on it when I bought it. When I opened the hood to connect the battery I heard a clicking in the fuse box. When. I connected the booster the clicker stopped dash boards and lights came on but when I tried to start it it didn't even try to swing over

Well part of the issue sounds like a weak battery. But now if you replaced both of those things, we need to start tracing some wiring. You said you had a volt meter?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I don't have a volt meter I can get one. I also put a computer on it it gave me the code p0444 purge volume control valve but I don't think that will stop it from starting.

That won't keep it from starting..

We need to start checking for power at the Brake switch & Clutch switch. Then also check for power going to the starter..

How are we making out?