Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2003 niss altima. I changed the alternator and now it won't

Customer Question

2003 niss altima. I changed the alternator and now it won't crank by the switch. I can jump start it by starter solenoid sometimes. And fuel pump won't stay primed
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Are any of your battery terminal ends after market? Also is the Alternator after market and are all those connections been checked to make sure they are tight?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I removed the fusable links going to. The battery because battery terminals were bad and factory ends n/a. Aftermarket
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

After market terminal ends are known to have high resistance. If the car can start with a Jump start, but not on it's own, the terminal ends is the first thing I would change for your issue. I have seen it many times!

Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

The Factory Positive battery terminal end is available from the dealer. It's like 20 bucks. The negative one comes on the Cable, which to be honest with you, the cables always break where it mounts on the trans. So I would change that negative battery cable anyway. Other wise if it breaks, it can cause coils and Ecm to go bad. The Negative battery cable is like 40 bucks..

Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Why would the fuel pump not stay primed
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

The fuel pump only comes on for a few seconds then turns off if the engine is not turning over. If you keep turning the engine over, the fuel pump should keep running.