KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY QUESTION CORRECTLY
5629372

88 pathy VG30i, was driving down highway 55 mph, then it

88 pathy VG30i, was driving down highway 55 mph, then it just like turning off ignition and would not start fuel relay working and pump ok. Not getting any spark check ecu codes came back with 11, 12, 13 11= crank position sensor, 12= MAF, 13 Coolant sensor. After hooking up ground to distributor the only codes that are left is 13 coolant sensor. still no spark. how do I troubleshoot the crank position sensor?
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: yes steering wheel is ok the key is a little worn but not bad.
JA: Are you fixing your 88 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, I tested coil and replaced it, the power transistor next to coil I could not get definitive results with multimeter.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have not checked compression yet

The first thing you should do would be to check the timing belt to make sure it did not break or jump time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i replaced timing belt 1 yr ago about 10000 miles on new belt

With all the codes and no fire, it is more likely the belt broke then anything. The upper timing cover is not hard to loosen so you can check the belt. You have to remember that the belt is man made and can fail at any time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if that were the case would i not hear the valves hitting the piston due to the interference

NO. And I have seen more times than not the pistones do not hit the valves.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i will check and get back to you, if belt has broken should i do comp check?

You will not be able to do a comp test till the timing belt has been replaced.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will get back with you after i check

OK.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Kalamykid,Yes the timing belt is loose but not broken, probably tensioner failure. What are the chances the engine is still ok, no valve damage?

To be honest with you 80-20. 80 it is all good just needs to be put back in time.