Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It will not start I turned it off yesterday and it would not…

Customer Question
Hi it will not...

Hi it will not start I turned it off yesterday and it would not start I had to have it towed I took the pop up to Nissan they put a new battery in it and it still will not start I don't understand what am I doing wrong on the dash there's a little red car in the lower right-hand corner and key in the left hand corner the steering wheel is not locked

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?

I have a fog not a key and it's a push button

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2009 Altima SL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm fixing it myself I took the boys up to Nissan they put a new battery in it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It has no dash just won't start

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
3/21/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Yellow key light on when you try to start the car?

Thank you.. Is the steering wheel locked?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No its the shifter is

Ok.. I have some good news for you. This is a Steering lock issue. Nissan just released last month a warranty extension on this issue. So if you contact your local Nissan dealer, they should take care of this for you at no charge. They should also be able to offer road side assistance for this issue as well.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star =Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Even if the stealing wheel isn't locked

Yes.. That is the Steering lock system that is causing your issue. Because the wheel never locked, it did not complete the shut down cycle properly so it's in a jammed state.

So the warranty extension is for this steering lock issue. So they will resolve it for you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any way we can fix it right now ??? How are they going to fix it?

I have a video on how you may be able to bump it to get it to complete the shut down cycle to get it going, but it could happen again.. Hang on while I get it for you..

That will get you going temporarily. This normally works 80% of the time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How did this happen and why won't it complete it's cycle

It is a internal issue with the steering lock motor.

That is why Nissan has Released a warranty extension on it. Actually the updated system eliminates the steering lock so this would never happen again