Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Car will not turn on battery is good, the mobile mechanic I

Car will not turn on battery is good, the mobile mechanic I have says the security system disabled the fuel pump
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: Original.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2008 Altima 3.5 SE V6
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried the starter, checked the fuel pressure no fuel going through fuel line
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Yellow Key light on when you try to start the car?

Does the ignition turn on? What is the car doing exactly please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have the yellow key light.

Thank you.. What you are most likely dealing with is a Steering lock control unit issue.. If you can turn the steering wheel, that is your problem.

Let me share a video with you on how to get the car started. Hang on please..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I push to start, it makes a clicking sound and won't start.

Single Click or Rapid clicking?

If you press the Start button 2 times with out stepping on the brake pedal, does the ignition turn on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Rapid clicking. The car turns on, can hear the fan, but won't start up.

Oh.. If you turn the ignition to the ON position, the Engine Radiator Fans come on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sir.

Ok.. Well that is a sign of fail safe. If the Radiator Fans come on when the ignition is turned on, that means there is a control unit communication issue. It means there is either a control unit that has failed, or wiring to a control unit.

Rapid clicking normally is a weak battery. But lets just try something and see what happens.

Disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins. When you are ready to attach it, see if you can have someone also attempt to jump start you. Then lets see if the Hard Reset clears things out and the vehicle starts. If the fans continue to come on, then a Advanced level scanner is going to be required to find out what control unit is not communicating properly so it can be resolved.

But lets try my suggestion and let me know what happens.. ok?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok

I am going to be off line the rest of the night. So let me know how you make out tomorrow.

Thanks Jay!

Checking in to see how you made out

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It appears it's a steering wheel lock issue. The Key light is on and the red security light stays on

If the Fans turn on when the ignition is turned on, it's not a steering lock issue.

If the ignition does not turn on, then it would be a steering lock issue if the steering wheel is not locked and you have a yellow key light

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the yellow lights where the FOB key is to be inserted correct?

No, not the lights at the fob slot. There would be a yellow key light in the cluster. Does the ignition turn on where you see all the warning lights?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is a yellow KEY light on in the instrument panel to the left and to the right is a solid red black key in a red car

The cluster does not turn on when you try to start it does it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it comes on and it stays on, both of them do.

That is not what I am asking. Does the ignition turn on where all the dash warning lights come on?

If the ignition turns on, where all the dash warning lights come on and you can see the mileage.. Then the issue is 100% not the steering lock

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh yes all of the dash lights come on.

Then the issue is as I said, it's not a steering lock control unit issue, it's a control unit issue. Especially if the Fans come on when the ignition is turned on. If you had a Steering lock control unit issue, the ignition would not turn on.

Did you try the hard reset like I suggested? Disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 mins then connecting it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 minutes. Still would not start. Should I try it again?

No, if that did not work, then you have a control unit issue and you will need to do CAN diagnostics to see what control unit is not communicating. To do this, you need a Advanced level scanner.

Can you do CAN diagnostics?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I don't. Do I need to take it to the dealer?

You just may. The CAN diagnostics does a system call on all control units and it tells you what control unit is not communicating so you can focus on the proper control unit checks.

That is a scanner screen shot of what it looks like..

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com