Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh,
Experience:  Master Tech at Kennesaw Auto Tech
97664209

2015 Versa SL, the manual key will not open driver door. The

2015 Versa SL, the manual key will not open driver door. The key goes in but will not turn. Remote works fine.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: The key works in the ignition and cars starts and runs fine.
JA: Are you fixing your Versa yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing so far, I just bought it a month ago and never tried the key manually until now. It needs to work in case main battery ever fails I won't be able to use remote system to release hood latch. 43,000 miles on it so this is not covered in warranty.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of

Hor often do you usually use the outside door lock?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only once by the salesman the day I bought it and it worked then. I just tried it myself and it doesn't turn either direction.

Does it turn either way? did you try the extra key?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, doesn't turn either way. Yes, neither key turns in lock. Both keys work in the ignition.

Sound like its just jammed coz of not using it. Its too new of a car to have this issue. Did you try too put wd40 in the key hole?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will try the WD-40.

Just spray a lil bit in it and let it sit for 15 minutes and try again. That should help

Good luck and please dont forget to rate me in the upper left corner otherwise i dont get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The WD-40 did not work. What should I try next?

Next step is to check the lock linkage on the inside. Are you able to take off the door panel?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't see any fasteners or screws. What do I need to remove it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I watched a YouTube video: https://youtu.be/lrYiPx5EaB0 on how to remove the panel. It's going to be a while before I can remove it, it's pouring rain and I am waiting for it to stop. I'll get back to you when I get it off.

No problem, Keep men posted

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I have door panel off and can see the linkage moving slightly when I wiggle the key

Loosen the linkage and turn the key again. Lets see if it turns.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I loosen the linkage?

It should be a plastic clip that you can unhook.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yellow plastic clip. I can't figure out how it works. I tried squeezing it with needle nose pliers but by had no success.

The clip should be turn and lift. Do you have a way to attach a picture of the clip to have a better idea?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can if you have an email address to send it to

You can just attach it on this messenger. the clip icon on top of the chat box.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here it is...

just turn the yellow clip to the right away from the metal linkage. And pull the linkage out.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Waiting on the rain to stop again, might be a while, sorry about that

No problem

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I got it loose and the key still doesn't turn more than an eighth of an inch either way

Then the problem is in the lock assembly . I have never seen one go bad this soon though.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's bad news I guess? What am I going to have to do?

Two ways either get a new lock or if you can find an mobile automobile locksmith in your area who can repair the same lock.

Locksmith option will be much cheaper than new lock.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is the lock easy to remove? If so I might take it to a locksmith and see if it can be repaired.

You just have to be careful with the shims not falling out of place if you take it apart. Its better to call a mobile locksmith where the car is and let them take it out.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well I guess we've run the gauntlet on this problem. You have been a good help thanks Gunvir
- Joe Shuck

Youre welcome sir and good luck. Please dont forget to rate me in the upper left corner otherwise i dont get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gunvir Singh was very patient and knowledgeable, I will request him in the future. Very satisfied!
- Joe shuck