Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2002 Nissan Xterra 3.3 supercharged 2WD OBD DTC P0740 torque

Customer Question

2002 Nissan Xterra 3.3 supercharged 2WD
OBD DTC P0740 torque converter clutch circuit open
I replaced the tranny fluid with filter cleaned the solenoid screens and tested the resistance and had 8 oms so it was testing ok. I'm still getting the DTC code P0740. Any other suggestions ? The check engine light Will only come on if the ignition key is cycled 3-4 times. I reset the check engine light and drove 30 miles and the light does not come on the lock up and over drive works and shift great still? After turning the key on off a few start ups it comes back on even if I don't drive it at all and the over drive light also flashes. Need help please.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 8 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

from the way you explain,,it sounds as if the lock-up solenoid is sticking intermediately..that is why it takes a while for it to give a code

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcu9pyamlkrhrp0/0109-nissan-%20CONVERTER%20CLUTCH%20SOLENOID%20VALVE.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/mcu9pyamlkrhrp0/0109-nissan-%20CONVERTER%20CLUTCH%20SOLENOID%20VALVE.doc?dl=0

.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's not the issue. Like I said I tested the TCC solenoid after cleaning the screens and got the resistance 8 ohms. If I dive the check engine light will never come on since the Circuit is opened and everything is fine. But if I don't drive at all and turn the key ignition on then off more then 3 times the check engine light appears with the same DTC code P0740 torque converter clutch circuit/open. So if it's sticking why would it not come on while driving or until the key is turned on off 3 or more times

if the solenoid is sticking intermediate..it may have tested good with the ohm meter at the time you tested..

by the way,an ohm test really isnt a 100% on a shift solenoid...

i did send you some tests/checks you can do to find the problem with this code in the link ..

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If your not able to help me with the Basic diagnostic of the DTC Code P0740 with a open Circuit which means a break in the wire or a bad connection with the wiring diagram and wire coded schematics from the PCM to TCM then it will be impossible to even explain or give correct diagnostics with out that info I'm looking for. I have replaced the valve body and fixed all the other DTC codes but this one. I'm guessing it's a bad connection somewhere that's why I needed that info above. Thanks

i understand..

the info is in the link

.

.

thanks

.

.

did you get the dropbox link to open?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is the same info I've got from online. Looks like I'm going to have to use my buddy's OBD life freeze frame to see where I'm getting the lock up issues or open Circuit from. Thank you for trying to help with this considering the fact that it's a wiring problem with open Circuit wheel speed to Rpm issue. I will still leave a good feed back for trying. But it's not what I was looking for.

do you need the wiring for the speed sensors?

are you even getting a speed sensor code?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I have that. I wanted your prier field experience with this particular issue with the Nissan Xterra since 90% of the time with open circuits only not closed or intermittent issues. Or a better wiring harness diagram that I don't already have.
Thanks for your opinion