Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 2016 Nissan maxima. We had to replace the engine

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2016 Nissan maxima. We had to replace the engine and it will turn on for a second and then shut off. It's not getting any fuel to the engine. It also has no codes present nor any lights on the dash. Checked the mass air flow sensor and substituted it for a new one to check it and same results. Not really sure where to go from there.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Yes we have. It's still fairly new with 8000 miles on it, the only thing replaced was the engine.
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked the mass air flow sensor and substituted it for a brand new one, with same results and also removed the contaminated gas and put fresh gas in it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope that's all we have right now, thanks!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question. My name is Jake.

What happened that required an engine replacement at 8000 miles? Was it flood damaged?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it was flood damaged, but only in the engine. No damage in the interior:
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

The engine will start normally, but only run for a few seconds then die?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it will stay running if we spray starter fluid. It will get fuel, but shut off after 2 seconds.
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

nothing odd happens at that time like the NATS light coming on?

Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

if your watching the fuel pump duty or voltage on your scanner does it go away even when using starting fluid to keep it running? or are you losing the injector pulse?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I went to double check and started it like normal and the NATS light does not stay on.
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

because if your losing pump operation it could be from the crank or cam sensors if one of the plugs is not fully seated. Also the crank sensor would be the most susceptible to water damage.

aside from them and anything obvious like a fuel pump failure, the only other 2 things that would cause the pump to cut off are the IPDM or ECM and aside form a bad connection at either one it would be highly unlikely that they got damaged because of their locations.

Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

If it was me, at this point I would check the IPDM and ECM connections again. Make sure the lock connector is fully latched on the ECm as it's fairly common to see people not fully cylce them. Aside form that I would check my crank and cam sensor connectors one more time since the engine was replaced.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay. We'll check it, but the IPDM and ECM wouldn't store a failure?
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

Not if you had a poor connection on one them unless the condensor fan came on or a U1)00 popped up.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also the second time we crank it with starter fluid , it ran and stayed running for about 10min until I shut it off to see if would restart on its own
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

Yea, that's weird that it continued running that long 1 time.

Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

Give those items a quick look over and let me know real quick.

I assume that when removed the air-box or replaced the MAF that you made sure the resonator in intake tube had no water in it or anything from the previous water intake?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
made really sure no water anywhere on intake tube or housings , is there any tests for the ipdm besides checking connections ?
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

The IPDM has limited capabilities from a scan tool. Most of the testing is is meter testing. You can see relay status an inputs though, you can see the fuel pump relay status.