Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My 2000 Nissan will only fire the coils 1 time and then just

Customer Question
spins no start JA: Will the...
My 2000 Nissan will only fire the coils 1 time and then just spins no start
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes all that is fine
JA: What is the model of your '00 Nissan?
Customer: Maxima
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I can tell you is the injectors are pulsing and that with the injectors out the hole I can see only spark one time from a couple coils
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
1/4/2017
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago
david carrier

this is dave and I'm here to help. It sounds like you have a lot apart already is that right?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's all back together now
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

usually a bad crank sensor will make the coils fire once then not fire again but that will also kill injector pulse. does the injectors pulse the whole time you are cranking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It smokes the whole time out of the exhaust while cranking. I was kicking back like timing was off and eventually it broke starter. Replaced starter still no start.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which crank sensor?
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

if your getting a lot of smoke and you do have pulse I think your right on the money with a timing problem. if the cam and crank signals are not in time with each other it will do the same thing and the smoke is usually all the unburned fuel coming out. If you can do a compression check on all the cylinders we can be more sure of a timing problem

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok but I must let you know this I had someone spinning the engine while I unplugged the MAF and plugged it back in the car started and died
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

ok well the mass air flow will not effect spark so that could have just been coincidental. if it still wont start now you really need to do a compression test to see whats going on inside the motor

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'm checking now
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

let me no what you get for numbers

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey the lowest cylinder is 210 and the highest is 215.
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

that's a good sign that they are all pretty even. do you have access to a scan tool so you can see live data as you crank it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've been looking at live data.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know the rpms are around 2 something maybe 3 and the Crank ( POS ) will go to 176.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey is 176 a good number for Crank POS count?
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

yea that's good. does the security light stay on or flash while you crank or does it go off shortly after you start cranking. This is very important

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Security light is totally out while cranking. It flash only while key out
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

ok so that can rule out a security problem. have you checked actual fuel pressure at the rail yet and try to take a sample of the fuel to rule out contamination

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Man I think it's the coils. I just spark tested the coils and they won't spark unless I smack it against the valve cover
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

it could very well be. They can be expensive so i was trying to help rule everything else that is common out first. You really need to do all six coils and should get OE coils because aftermarkets can be very problematic for these cars

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'm about to test a known good one. Have you seen them all take a shit at once
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

not really but they do have major problem with the coils in general and there may be 1 or two that are good. But if enough of them are bad the car wont start. It seems like you have everything else that you need for the car to run so if you have good ones try that first. There is also an issue where the wiring harness runs near the strut tower the wires can rub and cause a short i would look closely at the wires as well

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Left or right strut tower
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

should be on pass side if my mind serves me right

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks gonna try it and let u know
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

ok sounds good

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey sorry took so long but ordered 6 new coils car spitted to life then died. Started sounding like it was kicking back again. Now it's back to the one spark then spin no start. I am tired of this POS lol but my question is will the pcm burn up coils? I took it out and opened it up and I don't see any burnt or blown capacitors.Help!!!....????
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh is there any way you can upload a wire diagram of the pcm connector
david carrier
david carrier
david carrier